• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NEC v20 and CP/M

bugman2112

Experienced Member
I have been discussing the NEC processor on another thread. Specifically, I thought I'd ask here about the CP/M emulator by Stephen Hunt (VCPM) that runs using the 8080 emulation code on a NEC v20 processor. I've searched the net and only found two files. VCPM.a86 (uncompiled) and VCPM.CMD (compiled?) There are some instructions in the source code about how to compile but I am unsure how to use the program. Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation?

Last edited:
Fame at last... :p

I wrote that sometime back in the late 80s when I was playing with V20s in a number of non-IBM compatible PC type boxes (in particular, the LSI-M4, CAL-PC and LSI-Octopus machines). The .A86 file is the source and the .CMD the compiled program (runs under CP/M-86).

I must admit that I wasn't too hot on documentation (other than comments in the code).:blush:

Anyway, to run the program, just type VCPM (or whatever the compiled program is called) followed by the name of the CP/M-80 program followed by an optional file name. For example, the following command would run WordStar and load the document LETTER.DOC

VCPM WS LETTER.DOC

Unfortunately, I haven't got the V20 support documentation any more, but suspect you'd be able to find a copy on the net. Any questions, just ask.

Steve

Thanks. It will be interesting to mess around with that. Just curious, do you know how screen addressing controls are handled with this kind of setup? I'm accustomed to using CP/M via a terminal where the communication program uses something like vt52, vt100, etc. emulation.

There were a lot of CP/M emulators, some using the x80 emulation on the V-series chips. Heck, I even wrote one. Versions of 22Nice prior to about 1992 include support for the V-series instructions, as well as software emulation for 8080 and Z80 (you need software emulation for 8080 even if you have a V20, because there was a handful of programs that ran into a bug in the V20 support. JRT Pascal was one).

22Nice implemented several emulation modes, include Kaypro/ADM3 and others. Alternatively, you can elect to use no emulation and use an ANSI.SYS driver.

I've also got a copy of CPMulator, one of the earliest V20 CP/M packages that I know of.

Just curious, do you know how screen addressing controls are handled with this kind of setup?
The program I wrote does nothing special - CP/M-80 BIOS and BDOS calls are simply passed back (with a few exceptions) to the host CP/M-86 calls. However, as Chuck(G) points out, other emulators actually emulate certain types of systems/displays.

Back