• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need a volunteerto help me to attend the VCF next month.

olddataman

Experienced Member
I am disabled. I am anxious to attend theis year's VCF but hove nobody from home to come with me, and cannot come without someone to help me. My son flies all over the world and racks up hundreds of thousands of bonus miles and will give me a round trip first class ticket, and possibly a freebee room at a convienient Holiday Inn. But, due to the nature of my disease I need an attendent to be with me all the time I'm not sleeping. I lose my muscle tone without warning and without predictability. This causes me to fall down, and someone must be with me to prevent injury. So, I get a wheel chair, but can't wheel myself because I am to weak when I'm normal and obviouly can't do it when I am without muscle tone.
Anyone who does this for me won't miss anything at the VCF the SOL 20 reunion or the Xerox shindig because I want to attend all. As a charter member of the Computer History Club I am obviously interested in all of these things.
I must be met at the airport and be accompanied all the time except when I am in my motel room. It is a pretty demanding job. Can anyone help?

I hope you have managed to find someone to assist you with this.

With a newborn, a 21 month old and a booth to manage at the VCF I couldn't spare the time, but I'm sure at least one someone out there is going to attend that can help out.

Erik

New Idea re my original post.

New Idea re my original post.

Hi Erik and (hopefully) other readers. I have another idea which would make the task of baby sitting me much easier.
I have a walker, with a seat and wheels which I use around home and most other functions locally. I can bring it and ejiminate the need for a wheel chair, My "baby Sitter" would only have to stay near me to help me if I start to fall. Of course I need to be met upon arrival, transorted to the motel and otherwise provided transportation where needed.
In case someone is curious about what ails me, I have Narcolepsy with Cataplexy. Look it up on the internet. I can't take the usual medication found effective for most people because I also have severe Restless Leg Syndrome, and the medication for the two fight each otherand I can't take either.
I just reviewed what I wrote and realize that it hasn't made it sound much easier, but beliee me, it would be much easier.
Thank You for this website.
Ray Borrill

Back