• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Help Getting my 5162 up and running - Disk 602 error

Springbok

Experienced Member
It's been a very long time since I posted.

I had a 5162 in storage that I have just pulled out. I had a USB floppy emulator plugged in, but that seems to have failed. If I leave it connected, the 5162 won't power one. Remove it and it does. It's OK. I don't need it.

I now have 2 drives:

1) 360KB Alps DFC222B02A
2) 1.2MB IBM YD-380

The PC also has a 20MB Sega HD

The controller card is an IBM 68X3815

The card has 2 34 pin connectors and a 20 pin.

So as mentioned.. I keep getting Disk 602 Errors. I used to know how to fix these, but lost that knowledge, and I am pressed for time. So hoping someone here can guide me.

Both floppies have jumpers for D0-D3. I seem to recall that these need to be set. Can you perhaps tell me to what? The 1.2 also has a jumper next to D3 called M, which also has a jumper on it.

Also.. the HD used to boot, but no longer does. It goes straight to basic. One more thing. The disc does not seem to read the floppy so I can't run setup.

The cables are twisted cables. I have attached pics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 8
The controller card is an ...
That is the stock controller that IBM supplied in the IBM 5162.
At [here] is various information on the controller.

Both floppies have jumpers for D0-D3. I seem to recall that these need to be set. Can you perhaps tell me to what?
Per the floppy cabling diagram at the aforementioned web page, the floppy drives are set to the second drive-select position, which for your drives, will be DS1.

So as mentioned.. I keep getting Disk 602 Errors. I used to know how to fix these, but lost that knowledge, and I am pressed for time. So hoping someone here can guide me.
So, a "602-Diskette Boot Record Error" error.
Produced by the motherboard's IBM BIOS at the time when the BIOS goes to boot from something.

IBM's description in the source code for the motherboard BIOS is 'DISKETTE BOOT RECORD IS NOT VALID'. Looking further at the source code, the first sector (the boot sector) of the floppy was successfully loaded into RAM, but some of the contents of the sector were not as expected. On my IBM 5170, I can replicate the "602-Diskette Boot Record Error" error by formatting a floppy, then overwriting the initial part of the first sector (the boot sector) with a bunch of zeroes, then rebooting the computer.

A known good boot floppy ?

No other error codes appearing on-screen at power-on time ?

I had a 5162 in storage that I have just pulled out.
Was it stored in some kind of 'unfriendly' environment? Roof space, backyard shed, etc.

The disc does not seem to read the floppy so I can't run setup.
Is there any particular reason why you mentioned SETUP ?

That is the stock controller that IBM supplied in the IBM 5162.
At [here] is various information on the controller.

Per the floppy cabling diagram at the aforementioned web page, the floppy drives are set to the second drive-select position, which for your drives, will be DS1.

So, a "602-Diskette Boot Record Error" error.
Produced by the motherboard's IBM BIOS at the time when the BIOS goes to boot from something.

IBM's description in the source code for the motherboard BIOS is 'DISKETTE BOOT RECORD IS NOT VALID'. Looking further at the source code, the first sector (the boot sector) of the floppy was successfully loaded into RAM, but some of the contents of the sector were not as expected. On my IBM 5170, I can replicate the "602-Diskette Boot Record Error" error by formatting a floppy, then overwriting the initial part of the first sector (the boot sector) with a bunch of zeroes, then rebooting the computer.

A known good boot floppy ?

Was it stored in some kind of 'unfriendly' environment? Roof space, backyard shed, etc.

Is there any particular reason why you mentioned SETUP ?
Thanks for your reply.

The floppy "was" good the last time I used it... 2 years ago.

No other error codes.

Stored in AC room in box

The one disk drive was changed from a 1.2MB USB drive to a physical 360K floppy. I seem to recall that you have to configure that change in setup.

Out of curiosity, I did an experiment. I do not have a 5162, but I have a 5170, one with a 1.2M drive as A; and a 360K drive as B:
I removed the 1.2M drive, and moved the 360K drive to the A: connector. And I also moved the terminator from the 1.2M drive to the 360K drive.
So, I then had a 360K drive as A:, but the SETUP was still configured for {A=1.2M, B=360K}.
At power-on, I did not see a 601 error, and I was able to boot from a 360K boot floppy.
I had expected a problem at some point.

But here are some things you can try in regard to the 602 error on your 5162:

1. Try another boot floppy, just in case.

2. To clear the SETUP configuration, remove the battery for say, 15 minutes. Then expect 16x errors at power-on time. Even on an IBM 5170 (they predate the 5162), one can still boot from a 360K boot floppy when the CMOS configuration is in a cleared/reset state.

3. Because you can get to the onboard BASIC, alter your CMOS configuration via BASIC commands, to reflect that A: is a 360K drive. See 'Method 2' at [here].

4. The 5162's motherboard BIOS supports 1.44M drives and diskettes. Connect one as A:, alter your CMOS configuration to reflect that via BASIC commands, then boot from a 1.44M boot diskette. For booting purposes, it is possible that the 5162 may not need the 'CMOS configuration' bit to be done.

And looking at the photos that you posted, the window on the motherboard's keyboard controller chip (chip U37), is uncovered.
The window needs to be covered before the program code within the chip starts to corrupt.
See [here].

I had a 5162 in storage that I have just pulled out.
Stored in AC room in box
Perhaps clean the edge connectors on the IBM hard/floppy controller. Re-seat it in its socket a few times.

With the power supply still all hooked up to everything, do the voltages from the power supply measure okay ?

Try removing all cards except for the video card and the IBM hard/floppy controller.

And looking at the photos that you posted, the window on the motherboard's keyboard controller chip (chip U37), is uncovered.
The window needs to be covered before the program code within the chip starts to corrupt.
See [here].
But that is the KB controller chip. KB works just fine. You sure this is related?

2. To clear the SETUP configuration, remove the battery for say, 15 minutes. Then expect 16x errors at power-on time. Even on an IBM 5170 (they predate the 5162), one can still boot from a 360K boot floppy when the CMOS configuration is in a cleared/reset state.
Yes agreed, For the 5162 and 5170 when the CMOS config is in a cleared /reset state, The A: drive defaults to 360k and the B: drive is Undefined. Though when removing the battery it can sometimes take a lot longer than 15 minutes to clear, I have known it ( with my 5162 and 5170 ) to sometimes take several hours to clear and even then it may not have cleared properly. I remember there is some code that will clear the CMOS config but i can't seem to find it now on your website ?, That worked for me.

Older versions of DOS do not like floppies that have been exposed to some versions of Windows.

I have not seen the condition cause a system to refuse to boot from an affected floppy, but that would probably depend on the BIOS.

From a wiki entry:

"OEM Name (padded with spaces 0x20). This value determines in which system the disk was formatted.
Although officially documented as free for OEM use, MS-DOS/PC DOS (since 3.1), Windows 95/98/SE/ME and OS/2 check this field to determine which other parts of the boot record can be relied upon and how to interpret them. Therefore, setting the OEM label to arbitrary or bogus values may cause MS-DOS, PC DOS and OS/2 to not recognize the volume properly and cause data corruption on writes.[18][19][20] Common examples are "IBM␠␠3.3", "MSDOS5.0", "MSWIN4.1", "IBM␠␠7.1", "mkdosfs␠", and "FreeDOS␠".

Some vendors store licensing info or access keys in this entry.

The Volume Tracker in Windows 95/98/SE/ME will overwrite the OEM label with "?????IHC" signatures (a left-over from "␠OGACIHC" for "Chicago") even on a seemingly read-only disk access (such as a DIR A:) if the medium is not write-protected. Given the dependency on certain values explained above, this may, depending on the actual BPB format and contents, cause MS-DOS/PC DOS and OS/2 to no longer recognize a medium and throw error messages despite the fact that the medium is not defective and can still be read without problems under other operating systems. Windows 9x reads that self-marked disks without any problems but giving some strange values for non-meaning parameters which not exist or are not used when the disk was formatted with older BPB specification, e.g. disk serial number (which exists only for disks formatted on DOS 5.0 or later, and in Windows 9x after overwriting OEM label with ?????IHC will report it as 0000-0000 or any other value stored in disk serial number field when using disk formatted on other system).[21] This applies only to removable disk drives.

Some boot loaders make adjustments or refuse to pass control to a boot sector depending on certain values detected here (e.g., NEWLDR offset 0x018).

The boot ROM of the Wang Professional Computer will only treat a disk as bootable if the first four characters of the OEM label are "Wang". Similarly, the ROM BIOS of the Philips :YES will only boot from a disk if the first four characters of the OEM label are ":YES".

If, in an FAT32 EBPB, the signature at sector offset 0x042 is 0x29 and both total sector entries are 0, the file system entry may serve as a 64-bit total sector count entry and the OEM label entry may be used as alternative file system type instead of the normal entry at offset 0x052.

In a similar fashion, if this entry is set to "EXFAT␠␠␠", it indicates the usage of an exFAT BPB located at sector offset 0x040 to 0x077, whereas NTFS volumes use "NTFS␠␠␠␠"[22] to indicate an NTFS BPB."

OK. Progress!!!! Turns out it needed a new battery. So I ordered a replacement 6V on Amazon. It now recognizes the GoTek (So I can put that back in... thank goodness). Ran setup and it now sees both the gotek as well as the 1.2MB floppy. Next issue is getting the HD to be recognized. It is a type 2. I entered that in setup. However, when I run FDISK, it throws an "Error reading fixed disk". I have tried both a twisted and untwisted cable, changing the jumper settings as needed. So that is the next challenge.

OK.. got past that point by running diagnostics. I managed to FDISK drive c. I can switch to drive c. However attempting to format drive C gives me an "invalid media" error :(. So got to figure that out now.

So as mentioned.. I keep getting Disk 602 Errors.
No other error codes.
OK. Progress!!!! Turns out it needed a new battery.
That is really odd to me. I have come across IBM 5170 motherboards that don't produce a 161 error (bad battery), but because the SETUP information had been lost/corrupted, there was a 162 error (and I think a 163 as well).

OK.. got past that point by running diagnostics. I managed to FDISK drive c. I can switch to drive c. However attempting to format drive C gives me an "invalid media" error :(. So got to figure that out now.
You have re-partitioned using FDISK, so:
1. A read/write of the very first sector, the [MBR], on the drive is working; and
2. You were not concerned about what data you had on the drive.

Perhaps try some low-level disk operations using SpeedStor 6.5 software:

1. A seek test, although, on your IBM 5162, I expect that will pass even with the data cable removed. Navigation: {Diagnostics}{SeekTest}
2. A read/write test (data destructive). Navigation: {Diagnostics}{WriteTest}

Important information about SpeedStor at [here].

OK everyone. Finally got it working using speedstor. Thanks for all your help. I now have a working Mint condition 5162!!!

Back