• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Help Identifying 8 bit ISA RAM card

Thanks guys. For all I know this is populated to the full 2MB. Do you guys know offhand where I can get the driver? Dhau do you happen to have the files handy? Would definitely be interested in a pdf to explain the board and jumpers as well. Id like to know the full extent this thing can do.

ok so i found the riginal manual in bookcase so i can configure the board. a search for the files that came with the drivera disk yield zero downloads online. Just links to the 16 bit version of the AT board pdf and other people like myself searching for the files.

Found this old thread here: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/intel-above-board-8-bit-drivers.28458/

on post 6 trixter links to 3 different downloads on his ftp. I have tried all 3 download and when i run TESTAB i get the same failureIMG_20220715_144836-2 (1).png

the urrent config the 5160 has 256kb onboard and it uses part of the card to dcount to 640kb. Is the memory allocated to conv ram casuing the failure?

Notice bank 9 doesnt error. i know tbe error is erroneous because i have swapped out sveral banks i always get the same exact errors

Can you scan the manual and share it? I’ve got this card and it looks unused, it even came with a manual, but it is mistakenly the rambank-at manual.

Scan? No. I dont have a scanner. But in truth the AT-RAMbank manual out there is practically identical. It mentions the same files and settings for the most part, just references the AT and is 16 bit. And from what I can tell is backwards compatible with the Rambank 8 bit card meaning you can run the 16bit card in an 8 bit slot.

There isnt out there too much on my card (the 8 bit version) so all you come across is the 16 bit version which I guess makes my card unique. I used to have the complete box with disks but lets just say while I was still in the Military the person I intrusted them with threw them out. I guess I am lucky to still have the manual, but I lost almost all of the Disks (both 5.25" and 3.5") because of that.. It still upsets me.

Last edited:
Ok I figured some things out. I can use all the ram on the Card as Expanded/extended or I can use some as conventional and 1664KB left over is EMS memory. Thread #5 shows blocks of RAM marked bad, those are the 384KB of RAM on the card being used as Conventional Memory to boost the 5160's onboard Ram from 256KB to 640KB. If I change the dip switches I can get all 2mb to pass the test and the machine will only have 256KB of conventional RAM which would not be useful. As pictured here:
IMG_20220715_195854.jpg

I have this, it works with Intel Aboveboard driver 4.0E
Thanks you were right about the software.

Here is my memory configuration so far:
IMG_20220719_110427.jpg
Its been a long time since I messed with memory management in DOS. As you can see I have alot of Ram and no way to use it. How can I use this RAM? (forgive my ignorance on this, its been a long time and things get rusty)

Its loading the EMM.sys driver in Config.sys Device = EMM.SYS PC 208 ND
and I have DOS = HIGH,UMB

What else should I be doing so I can use this extra RAM and free up conventional RAM?
IMG_20220719_111314.jpg

Last edited:
Load High requires XMS memory, which requires a 386 or better. You can't use high memory or UMB memory on anything lower (there are some exceptions I think for 286 machines, but I'm not sure if I'm recalling it correctly).

You can have UMB on an 8086 and 286 have XMS. I’ve got about 4.125 MB of RAM on my 5170 and at the moment it’s all configured as XMS, for no real reason.

I think the issue you have, at least based on this video is that intel cards won’t let you map memory to the right address, so if your card is a clone maybe that’s the problem.

Now I think I need to dig out an AST card to try it out because that might be the only thing I have that is compatible.

You can have UMB on an 8086 and 286 have XMS. I’ve got about 4.125 MB of RAM on my 5170 and at the moment it’s all configured as XMS, for no real reason.

I think the issue you have, at least based on this video is that intel cards won’t let you map memory to the right address, so if your card is a clone maybe that’s the problem.

Now I think I need to dig out an AST card to try it out because that might be the only thing I have that is compatible.
That doesnt make sense. The card is a clone so it wont work? The Ram 1.664Mb is showing up under EMS RAM. I just dont know how to utilize EMS ram.

The video says that intel cards won’t work for UMB. If your card is a clone of an intel card, I’d expect it to not work either, if it’s a faithful clone of the card that doesn’t work.

I would configure at least 64K as extended (XMS). Then you can load DOS in the HMA.

Sorry I misread your post as having a 286. Yes himem won't work with an XT.

Can the EMM driver create UMBs?

No idea. I am only using the Intel driver as Dhau said it would work. And it has. But all the ram not being used as conventional is listed as EMM. And I assume only a program meant to use EMM ram will look for it right?

Back