• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help on video of '2 Minutes Hate' from '1984'

atari2600a

Veteran Member
Yes, I know, another off-topic thread from atari2600a...yet this seems to be the best place to ask for help, due to the significanse the book '1984' has in this community.

I've decided to create my own interpretation of '2 Minutes Hate' from the book '1984' for my Video Production class with the hopes of having it aired on the school's weekly broadcast. (either way, I'm putting it on YouTube)

This is the current storyboard:

1. 20 seconds explaining what the video is about

2. Immediate ear-piercing sounds (fading down after a few seconds), a man with a white haired, bearded (more like unshaved) man preaching about freedom. I haven't worked out what will be said yet, but I know it will involve the phrases "freedom of speech", "freedom of Assembily", "Freedom of Thought", ect... There will be war footage of troops marching in the background. This footage will most likely be a montage of what I can find on archive.org.

3. After about a minute passes, his voice will turn into a sheep bah-ing, & slightly afterward, there will be a 5-10 frame cross dissolve between him & the head of a sheep.

4. after a few seconds, the sheeps head will cross-dissolve into that of a head of a soldier working a machine gun. The gun will eventually point directly at the screen while shooting. (I'll have to animate the gun coming at you in After Effects, but I feel I can pull it off fairly well) The gun will then turn away & then the soldier's face will show again

5. There will then be a 20-30 second cross-dissolve between the soldier's face & Big Brother. I'll have him reciting a modified version of the text from Apple's 1984 superbowl commercial. (you know what I'm talking about!:p)

6. Directly after "We shall prevail!", it will cut to a screen of the following text:

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH​

7. After about 10 seconds, Credits. Probably "Produced & Directed by (My name); Based on George Orwell's Novel '1984'"

Well, that's what I currently have planned. Any suggestions? Comments? Rants?

Last edited:
Music

Music

How about "Super Mario Brothers Anthem," that always seems to catch your attention no matter what you are doing, with the ghost house music here and there. Really doesn't have any relation to the video you are making except it was such a catchy toon.

Back