• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help opening C128

Mochatea396

Experienced Member
Hello group,
I just took ownership of my first C128 and I’m having trouble opening the machine for cleaning. Ive watched videos and removed all 6 screws but the two halves won’t come apart. The rear and the front come up a little bit it seems something toward the center is still holding it down. I’m afraid if I use any more force I’ll snap something. I’m sure there’s something I’m not understanding being new to the system.
Thanks

Take a thin credit card and slide it along the slight openings on the sides
Note that the keyboard is attached with a very small lead to the chassis so you won'tbe pulling the top right off.
If this is your first, I would suggest taking a picture of the LEF and how it fits so you know how to place it back in place.
You'll see why if you intend on taking it out to clean ;)

Thanks for your response. I tried a thin credit card and it’s not going past right where the plastic angles down. Just to the left of the arrow key and just to the right of the + on the numpad. Is there a clip behind there at these points being stubborn?

Thanks for your response. I tried a thin credit card and it’s not going past right where the plastic angles down. Just to the left of the arrow key and just to the right of the + on the numpad. Is there a clip behind there at these points being stubborn?
Yes - see attached pics. The credit card being slid along the sides would have pushed that little tab in.
- and you did unscrew the screw in the bottom middle of the case, right? :)

Attachments

• 20221226_203802_resize.jpg
    20221226_203802_resize.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221226_203821_resize.jpg
    20221226_203821_resize.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221226_203828_resize.jpg
    20221226_203828_resize.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the pics. I tried but no prevail. But now that I see the pics I can see how the clip needs to be pushed . The problem is the credit card tightens up about an inch before I get to the clip. I’ll try again tonight now that I’ve seen the pics. Strange how both sides are giving me trouble.
I’ll post my results tonight

True - anything thin that can nudge that little tab. A credit card might be a little too thick. Maybe OP can find an alternate thin piece of smooth plastic if a spudger isn't available.
I usually find just pushing in a little on the sides while working the top up is enough to release the small tab, but sometimes they really do get stuck in there :)

Back