• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help with TRS-80 PT-210 Data Terminal

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So I just bought a relatively complete TRS-80 PT-210 data terminal (since my seeking of a TI Silent 700 hasn't panned out) TRS.jpgTRS2.jpgtrs3.jpg
This thing looks great. In offline mode it prints [ a bit dim and the contract pot looks a bit mangles but I am sure I can sort that out in the future.] using the thermal print head. The problem is I cannot get it to communicate. I found the user manual online and apparently if you press the "REPT" key down while turning the unit on it should do a self test which basically just prints the character set continuously until the unit is powered off. IF this is true, my unit doesn't do this.

The unit has the RS-232 8055-7001C board in it. I cant get the carrier or error LED to ever come on when trying to connect to my pc (or anything)

Does anyone have a service or troubleshooting manual or some schematics? Anyone have any knowledge on this thing? I would love to get it operational.
Mick

I hope I have this post in the right area. It is a TRS-80 Branded device. The manual discusses connecting it to all its models (TRS-80).

There is a service manual. http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/content/computing/RadioShack-Tandy/76-1001_PT210ServiceManual.pdf I suspect you got the operations manual at the same site. Stupid search engines hiding the more valuable PDFs.
Page 60 notes what to do if the self test failed.

Not that uncommon. Page 64-67 which have images of the control board indicates more than 2,000 were made. I suspect the problem is there. Hopefully, the bad component had an obvious failure.

Last edited:
Any luck with this thing?

I inherited one PT-210 that sadly lacks the RS232 option board, which would be the main thing to make it somewhat usable - at least to have some fun with!

Have on the way back burner a project to reverse engineer the RS232 board and build me one, problem is there are more projects ahead of that. Sigh, too many toys so little time: been daydreaming of connecting the PT-210 to my Color Computer 3 using OS9's time sharing facilities.

I was listenting to a recent TRS-80 Trash talk live and they brought up the PT-210. Hopefully some renewed interest in it will garner some info for us getting them up and running. Mine DOES has the Serial board but I just cant get the thing to work.

Sorry, I made the assumption that TRS80GP could use a real serial port like xtrs and SDLTRS can. It appears TRS80GP can't use real serial ports only TCP/IP connections.

So it took it almost 2 years but I now have my TRS-80 PT-210 paper terminal working. I connected online via my wifimodem232 at 300 baud and 110 baud. The only issues I have is the system documentation states the units acoustic coupler can only work at 110 or 300 baud and the system has a switch to toggle speeds. The rs-232 addon board (Which was an option you had to purchase separately) has no documention and I dont know if it can run at any additional speeds. I have not been able to get it to work at anything other than 110/300. I need to adjust the contrast trimmer to make it print darker. Keep forgetting to do that. Also it takes a non standard 8 inch thermal paper. Anyone know if thats it still something I can find as I dont want to eat up my paper if not.

about 3 keys are a bit dirty and dont always print the character. I need to sort that out as well. Also the Error and Carrier (red and green) LEDs never ever illuminate. That seems strange.

IMG_20231106_185730.jpgIMG_20231106_190824.jpg

Oh my, what an interesting little thing. It only has an acoustic interface? 110/300 baud on a slide switch is such a wild thing to see, too.

All I'd suggest at first is to whirl the contrast pot around madly, which usually cleans them up after they've been sitting stationary for a few decades. Have you opened it up to see the board condition yet?

Oh my, what an interesting little thing. It only has an acoustic interface? 110/300 baud on a slide switch is such a wild thing to see, too.

All I'd suggest at first is to whirl the contrast pot around madly, which usually cleans them up after they've been sitting stationary for a few decades. Have you opened it up to see the board condition yet?
Not not just acoustic coupler.. mine has an rs232 addon board which is what i am using. I?havent had a home phone line in almost 20 years.

Yep I gotta get to that contrast pot for sure.

Well the unit came with the original pleather cover so this thing is mint. No Dirt and no dust inside and out. Doubt it was used much.

Back