• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need some advice: Latest Mobo with floppy and PATA onboard.

But it sounds like Chuck has his motherboard sorted, other than the MFM 128 byte sector issue.

Hmmm, Chuck, does the test also test for FM 128 byte sector reads? To image TRS-80 Model II boot disks this would be required.

I tested that myself with Anadisk--it's fine.

I do use multiple cores for some single tasks. For example, when you're archiving using the tar-gzip combination, rather than gzip, I use pigz, which is a multithreaded adaptation. It speeds the process quite a bit.

Chuck(G) said:
Just a single floppy as far as I can tell.
If so, just use an external toggle switch to select which drive it talks to.

I installed a toggle switch and LED on my NorthStar MDS in the late '70s just to avoid messing with write protect tabs.
Better than Mr. Miyagi's advice, "Tab on... Tab off..."

If so, just use an external toggle switch to select which drive it talks to.

I installed a toggle switch and LED on my NorthStar MDS in the late '70s just to avoid messing with write protect tabs.
Better than Mr. Miyagi's advice, "Tab on... Tab off..."

If I glance over to the desk to my right, it's an Athlon 64 system with an FD505 fully supported. If I want to get serious, I go down to my office floor where the rackmount dual P3 system sits and the stack of external drive boxes sitting on it--if I need a specific drive, I just plug it in. I can pretty much do anything from 8" down to 3.0" just by changing plugs. I still don't have a 2.0" drive, however--one of these days, perhaps.

Back