• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Tandy 1000 EX ROM for PCEM

txt9900

I was trying to find the ROM for the Tandy 1000 EX for PCEM. I have found the Tandy 1000 and the 1000 HX, but does anyone know where I can get the 1000 EX rom so I can use it in PCEM? Also, maybe even the 1000 SX ROM.

I was trying to find the ROM for the Tandy 1000 EX for PCEM. I have found the Tandy 1000 and the 1000 HX, but does anyone know where I can get the 1000 EX rom so I can use it in PCEM? Also, maybe even the 1000 SX ROM.
Why do you need a Tandy 1000 EX ROM when the Tandy 1000 EX is not a supported emulated system on PCem in the first place? The Tandy 1000 SX is also not supported. Either ROM would do you no good.

FWIW, I’m not entirely sure there’s even a difference between the EX and SX ROMs; maybe a tweak to the RAM test code so it knows about the difference between having 128k vs. 256k behind the Big Blue chip? Don’t have them handy to do a binary diff on, but I know you can find dumps in quite a few of the usual places with a Google search. Note that a lot of the images out there are overdumps; the machines only have 16K of actual BIOS code, but the Tandy 1000 hardware uses a single chip select for the whole F0000 64k page, and it seems like a lot of people have dumped 32K or the whole 64k.

If you have an emulator that can do HX emulation it seems to me you should be pretty much covered for any software targeting the EX? The 16k of actual PC BIOS at FC000 in an HX is almost 100% identical to the EX version and the chipset is likewise almost identical. (I think the HX has one additional custom chip combining a couple functions done by generic chips in the EX, relating to the disk controller? But the video chip and RAM layout are identical.) All the rest of the 128k ROM is DOS data, DeskMate data, and a small stub of disk emulator code that are all basically bypassed when you boot from a floppy instead of ROM DOS.

Why do you need a Tandy 1000 EX ROM when the Tandy 1000 EX is not a supported emulated system on PCem in the first place? The Tandy 1000 SX is also not supported. Either ROM would do you no good.
Didn't realize that PCem does not emulate the EX.

I ran GW-Basic on PC-EM v12 with the Tandy 1000 rom. Is there any way to copy and paste a basic program listing from a file or PDF to the GW-Basic Editor?

I don't think I've ever used PC-EM so I have no idea if its UI supports copy/paste, but it's worth noting that if you have the capability to copy files into disk images GW-BASIC can load ASCII-format files in addition to tokenized BASIC.

Back