• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Needed 1 DOS Boot Disk in 5.25"

cgrape2

Experienced Member
Somehow I have managed to lose my copies of DOS in the 5.25" Floppy.The PC it will attempt to start probably uses the Low Density style and anything above DOS 3 is not going to work.At the moment I have no working Reader\Writers in that size.
What do you-all have?
Thanks!
cgrape2

Have you considered adding a 3.5" drive as your B: drive? A 1.44MB one can still read and write DSDD disks; swap A: and B: and you can boot from the 3.5" to get you going.

Just thinking aloud here...

There's no such thing as "anything above DOS 3 won't work" in my experience - I have 6.22 on my Panasonic Sr. Partner, and that shipped with DOS 2.11 - it's an XT portable.

However, I can make a disk for you if need be of PC-DOS 3.3 pretty easily if you like - I have that on my 5160 at the moment and it has a 360K FDD. I can probably write any other version you like too.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Chuck is quite right though, if you did that you could then write a 360K boot disk and then swap the drives back - also you could take the 360K drive and temporarily put it in another machine (even a relatively modern one) to write the boot disk.

There's no such thing as "anything above DOS 3 won't work" in my experience - I have 6.22 on my Panasonic Sr. Partner, and that shipped with DOS 2.11 - it's an XT portable.

I too was wondering what the OP was referring to, or had experienced in this regard.

Back