• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

new acquisitions

Chris2005

Banned
had a fun day (2 actually) at a local computer festival (no and I'm not going to advertise for them anymore, not after I had to walk 1/4 mile in the rain to get my stupid admission pass). But found some groovy stuff:

2 boxes of nos 5 1/4" floppy disks, probably 200 in all

IBM 5144? 5145? Ruggedized militarized version of the 5150. No keyboard, but an interesting relic. If the seller doesn't cough up the EMI filter I'm going to level his house! I know where he lives ;)

Zenith flat screen multisync, the first one they made

Apple IIgs, no keyboard, goes bong...bong when powered up, need a keyboard (duh)

Compaq Plus luggable, very nice save for some chips/cracks in the case :(

Weird weird weird Trash-80 Model 4, off-white/beige, says "Stevens' 128k" on the silver plate beneath the reset switch - anyone got a clue??? Extremely nice condition

2 strawberry Imacs, who cares (I DO I DO!)

a bunch of 8 bit peecee cards, HP scsi (external only connector) - is it proprietary?

old Phillips scope, 10 mhz bandwidth, dope didn't tell me it requires 24vdc externally. It's ok though, he's my friend, and true friends get to be dopey here and there ;)

another Heathkit scope, useless save for collectibility value, also from the "dope" LOL LOL

3 new 9.1 gig SCSI hard drives, come in some weird Unisys caddy, hope they work with my SGI's

a Sun multisyncer, to go with my heretofore non-fired up Ultra 5. Well actually I did turn it on once...

Even climbed in the dumpster LOL LOL LOL LOL and found a crt rejuvenator thing. 2 actually, another pal wanted 1 so I gave it to him. Also found a noise surpression filter for a car - 25 amp! And a sealed package of probably 20 phonograph needles. Wow, it was worth the $17 admission just to climb in the dumpster! I'll get to retire once I throw that stuph on Epay. O yeah ;)

All in all a great haul in my opinion. I just wish they would charge the vendors a more reasonable price for their tailgate spots, that way even more "junk" would get brought out. And to think, because it was raining on Saturday, I almost didn't go in, after seeing how few vendors showed up. "I ain't paying 17 friggin bucks to go in for that!!!" Then I started seeing people I knew. Very cool day. Don't pass up events like this (or hamfests) in your area. Never know what you'll find.

The last time I was at "the show that shouldn't be mentioned" I went with a geek friend of mine in his station wagon. He loaded it up with junk to sell, set up a booth, sold his stuff then bought enough to fill it coming home.

Seems to be standard practice for many. . . ;)

Apple IIgs, no keyboard, goes bong...bong when powered up, need a keyboard

you can give them Mac PDS keyboards until you find the IIgs keyboardss for them.

2 strawberry Imacs, who cares (I DO I DO!)

Nothing wrong with an iMac, they're pretty cool and still quite useful. Still use my Ruby DV+( even have virtual PC running Win98 to trip people out when its in full screen.)

actually, I drove the van to the show. Wasn't quite as much as it sounds. That old pos should last another 10 years (it's an '82 Chevy G10). Gas guzzler though.
That's absolutely correct Erik, alot of that does goes on. Unfortunately, I don't give thought to resales when I go to flea markets and such these days (...years). Too bad...should have grabbed a few more Imacs, my guess is I could have sold them for about $50 apiece (maybe). Mom grabbed one...she likes the way it looks on her desk (possibly the first puter who's power button her finger has ever been on - I turned it on for her to demonstrate - she turned it off when I told her it's about the equivalent of 5 100 watt light bulbs! I assured her it's nothing to panic over).
O so you've been to the unspeakable show out here. Probably nothing compared to the swap meets and techie garage sales that go on out your way. O man I have to drive to the west coast soon. I'm almost determined to go to Dayton this year also.
What's a PDS keyboard? Do you mean ADB?
O and by the way, the Imacs were soaking wet! I said I should leave them out in the sun for about a week, but I got impatient yesterday. Fired them up and they worked perfectly. No reason to panic over water. Just let the stuph dry off :)

forgot a couple of books, Total Turbo Pascal, another about Xerox Ventura Publisher (which I already have, with manuals, if anyone if interested in a copy/image), and an ooooold Linux book w/disk, entitle Plug-and-Play Linux, based on Yggdrasil, circa 1993-4. I had thought Yggdrasil was the first distro, and am still pretty sure, but I've heard words to the effect that Slackware is older. Can anyone confirm or deny?

"The last time I was at "the show that shouldn't be mentioned" I went with a geek friend of mine in his station wagon. He loaded it up with junk to sell, set up a booth, sold his stuff then bought enough to fill it coming home.

Seems to be standard practice for many. . . "

I totally misread. Oftentimes, people with booths buy stuph right at the show (while someone minds their booth) and sell it right then and there. Now that takes chutzpah!

Back