• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Apple 2 keyboard replacement

dfnr2

Experienced Member
My recent project may be of interest to Apple II owners, and I'd like to share it. I've been working on an ASCII keyboard that can be used in general for the Apple II, as well as other retrocomputers. Here's a photo of the keyboard configured for Apple II. The keyboard has connectors for Apple II/II+ and for the Apple 1. It supports two different types of keymaps for the Apple II: All CAPS, and Upper/Lower with the repeat key used as a capslock. However, the keymaps can be modified to pretty much anything. This keyboard supports CTRL+BREAK for the /RESET signal, and also supports CLEAR on the Apple 1.

The keyboard can use Cherry MX keys, or Futaba MD4-PCS keys (which I prefer).

I do have to make a couple of modifications still, to make the keyboard fit properly in the Apple II case, but that will happen soon. The whole project is up on GitHub:

https://github.com/osiweb/unified_retro_keyboard

apple2kbd.jpg

So this is a drop in replacement for the II and II plus? Where do you find keycaps or do you have to use original. I only ask because IIe and newer keycaps can be found but II and II plus are not as easy and expensive. I have a II plus missing the square (flush) power lamp cover and cant find anyone who has one for under $40+

Yes, this is a drop-in replacement. I had the keycaps custom made. It would be great if these fit the original keys, but unfortunately they don't. Also, this keycap set uses a regular keycap for the POWER key, and so wouldn't fit the original keyboard with flush cover.

I wish someone more talented than me would make a cherry-key replacement for the Atari ST. What a mushy turd that keyboard becomes after they're worn in.

Yes, this is a drop-in replacement. I had the keycaps custom made. It would be great if these fit the original keys, but unfortunately they don't. Also, this keycap set uses a regular keycap for the POWER key, and so wouldn't fit the original keyboard with flush cover.

Can you give some details about how much that set you back and is there a shared design they have on file if someone else wanted to purchase the same thing?

Can you give some details about how much that set you back and is there a shared design they have on file if someone else wanted to purchase the same thing?

With a volume discount, the keycap set set me back about $65/set, including shipping and tax, and I'm making them available for $65/set if anyone wants one. The set includes more keys than needed for any one keyboard, in order to be useful for many different configurations.

There are also some volume savings to be had for the PCBs, and I'll likely be stocking PCB sets for those who want them. That would include the keyboard PCB, cherry and futaba aligners, and choice of encoder with a surface mount microcontroller (ATMega2560) or through-hole (ATMega328P) but more chips.

Everything is open source, and available on Github, including the PCB design files and gerbers, the firmware, and the specs for the keycaps.

With a volume discount, the keycap set set me back about $65/set, including shipping and tax, and I'm making them available for $65/set if anyone wants one. The set includes more keys than needed for any one keyboard, in order to be useful for many different configurations.

There are also some volume savings to be had for the PCBs, and I'll likely be stocking PCB sets for those who want them. That would include the keyboard PCB, cherry and futaba aligners, and choice of encoder with a surface mount microcontroller (ATMega2560) or through-hole (ATMega328P) but more chips.

Everything is open source, and available on Github, including the PCB design files and gerbers, the firmware, and the specs for the keycaps.

Just curious, why don't you build and sell complete keyboard assemblies and price accordingly? There is a need of course.

Just curious, why don't you build and sell complete keyboard assemblies and price accordingly? There is a need of course.

Mainly because I just don't have the time. However, I am happy to answer questions or otherwise digitally help out anyone out who is interested in building up a keyboard. Perhaps there might be some among us who might be able to do some soldering to help out an internet friend or two. . .

Here's a photo of the latest rev. The PCB mounting holes had to be adjusted a bit because I didn't realize that the mounting screws are slightly angled, which changes the distance of the mounting holes when mounted on standoffs.

mounted_keyboard.jpgkeyboard_test.jpg

Mainly because I just don't have the time. However, I am happy to answer questions or otherwise digitally help out anyone out who is interested in building up a keyboard. Perhaps there might be some among us who might be able to do some soldering to help out an internet friend or two. . .
I have been discussing with Henry of Reactive Micro the best way to make assembled keyboards available. The apple community is very lucky to have him.

Just wanted to report that I built one up one of the kits from Dave and it worked out very well.
So nice to finally have a keyboard that ddddddddoesnt rpt or missssssssss keys. =D
(Thanks again Dave, this is so awesome!)

Attachments

• photo64545.jpg
    photo64545.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo64546.jpg
    photo64546.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo64592.jpg
    photo64592.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo64593.jpg
    photo64593.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Fantastic

How would I get one :)

I have (second) apple ][ that I have collected a motherboard, disk drive, a case and a PSU but the keyboard has eluded me (well, one at a reasonable cost)

Back