• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

new multisession web server download

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
EDIT: close this thread please! refer to new one in the programming section.

i wrote this today, i've been meaning to create a decent multisession HTTP server for a long time now. everything seems to work okay so far.

you can download it here: (it's actually being hosted by the program itself on a 286)

http://irc.rubbermallet.org:286/qserv10.zip

EDIT: also put it on my main site in case something happens http://www.rubbermallet.org/qserv10.zip

also on that 286 server is a mirror of the total hardware '99 website. feel free to browse it! i would love to see if it crashes. just remember, being such an old machine, the transfer rates are generally under 10 KB/s...

http://irc.rubbermallet.org:286/index.htm

have fun, and let me know how the server works for you please! it's my intention to eventually turn it into a dual server for both HTTP and FTP.

EDIT: i fixed the occasional bug where the file transfer doesn't complete! redownload the ZIP to update yours.

Last edited:
The download cuts at about 120Kb, I'm on a rather slow network. The fault might be that the sever/agent (in my cause, IE 7) gives up too easy or something like that.

Pretty fast download here.

Yep, runs right out of the box!
I've been playing around with a server called www0005 that
I picked up somwhere. I'll try this one for a while now.

The download cuts at about 120Kb, I'm on a rather slow network. The fault might be that the sever/agent (in my cause, IE 7) gives up too easy or something like that.

interesting.. i'm going to look through the code again and see if there's something i missed that would be causing that. did it happen every time?

Pretty fast download here.

Yep, runs right out of the box!
I've been playing around with a server called www0005 that
I picked up somwhere. I'll try this one for a while now.

i've tried that one as well. written by somebody in australia. it works, but it will actually error and crash just if somebody types in a filename that doesn't exist in the URL. in my experience anyway.. it's pretty buggy!

interesting.. i'm going to look through the code again and see if there's something i missed that would be causing that. did it happen every time?

I have concluded that it wasn't your server or the Agent. What caused the buggy behavour was my schools network. At home, it's all fine, except that the data rate sometimes paused for a coupple of seconds.

I have concluded that it wasn't your server or the Agent. What caused the buggy behavour was my schools network. At home, it's all fine, except that the data rate sometimes paused for a coupple of seconds.

oops, it actually was my server. a friend of mine had the same problem, so i looked at the code and i screwed something up. it was forcibly closing the connection even if it was still in the "close_wait" state, which means waiting for the last of the data to transfer. so, slower connections tended to get aborted near the end.

i will upload a fixed version soon! sorry guys. this is why bug testing is good. :)

ok the bug seems to be fixed. my friend irl had that issue almost every time he requested something from the server. he helped me troubleshoot over the net, and i made some changes to the code... now it transfers 100% every single time for him. :)

if you are using the program, redownload the ZIP and update it for the latest... there don't appear to be any other bugs, but please let me know if you find something!

Very fast, downloads at about 9.2 KB/s.

Good job!

Agree. I actually timed it with a stop watch because I'm not sure where my download manager starts and stops. The "real" download time here was about 2.25 seconds. For a 153593 byte file I guess that's about 8.5 KB/s. Yep, I think that's fast for a 286.

Hey Mike: I don't doubt that the www0005 is buggy but I couldn't get it to crash by giving it wrong directories, it just gives me a 404 like it should. One thing it does do for sure is give log files: www.log, hit.log, and count.log. That's something to like. (hint hint!) Anyway, I haven't tested it properly, so it's might well be buggy like you say.

I have two dos boxes in my current stack here, so I'm going to load one server on each machine and check that out. They have different network cards, but (if I get energetic later tonight) I could make them the same.

Amazing! I got around 13KB/s on the download, the TH99 mirror loads up about as fast as Wikipedia does for me. Nice work!

OK. I got both servers on both machines now. One machine is set up with a packet driver on vector 0x7e but quickserv simply refuses to run with that. Changing to 0x60 made it happy. I thought I'd try that because that's what the the other machine (where quickserv worked first) is using. Is there some issue with address range? Its a pain to go through and change everything for different programs. :(

OK. I got both servers on both machines now. One machine is set up with a packet driver on vector 0x7e but quickserv simply refuses to run with that. Changing to 0x60 made it happy. I thought I'd try that because that's what the the other machine (where quickserv worked first) is using. Is there some issue with address range? Its a pain to go through and change everything for different programs. :(

well the packet driver vector doesn't matter to quikserv, it only looks for the NTCPDRV vector. you can change where it looks in the QUIKSERV.INI file. if you don't change anything, it checks on 0x61 for it. NTCPDRV looks for the first unused vector starting at 0x60, so if there isn't a packet driver there it will use that.. 95%+ of the time, people have their packet driver on 0x60, so NTCPDRV will usually be found on 0x61 thus i made that the default.

does the program work okay on the machine where you got it running?

Last edited:
Amazing! I got around 13KB/s on the download, the TH99 mirror loads up about as fast as Wikipedia does for me. Nice work!

very cool! glad to hear it was that fast since the server is just a 10 Mhz 286 box. :D

no errors or incomplete transfers anywhere?

Agree. I actually timed it with a stop watch because I'm not sure where my download manager starts and stops. The "real" download time here was about 2.25 seconds. For a 153593 byte file I guess that's about 8.5 KB/s. Yep, I think that's fast for a 286.

Hey Mike: I don't doubt that the www0005 is buggy but I couldn't get it to crash by giving it wrong directories, it just gives me a 404 like it should. One thing it does do for sure is give log files: www.log, hit.log, and count.log. That's something to like. (hint hint!) Anyway, I haven't tested it properly, so it's might well be buggy like you say.

I have two dos boxes in my current stack here, so I'm going to load one server on each machine and check that out. They have different network cards, but (if I get energetic later tonight) I could make them the same.

actually, i didn't mention this anywhere - but if you start the program like this:
QUIKSERV.EXE /LOG

it will output log data to a file called QUIKSERV.LOG :) nothing too detailed, but it will log all requests with the filename, remote IP, file size, and the date/time stamp. as far as www0005, there might have been some weird issue with the machine i tried it on. it was a few years ago, on an 8088.

btw just so you guys know, i am working on adding an FTP server to it that can run at the same time as the HTTP server. i thought that would make it nice and easy to update the site remotely, and without closing the program causing down time. you'd also be able to give users their own home directories with FTP access.

very cool! glad to hear it was that fast since the server is just a 10 Mhz 286 box. :D

no errors or incomplete transfers anywhere?

Nada, it was slightly slower when I tried just now....but just barely noticeable. I'm in the Northeast USA on a 15M cable connection. WinXP and Firefox 3 on this end, everything looks perfect and no page transfers died mid-stream, even the really large ones. I'm actually checking out the reference for my P100 computer right now, just "upgraded" to NT 4.0 and it's not recognizing the L2 cache, trying to straighten things out....so stumbling across this was very convenient! :)

well the packet driver vector doesn't matter to quikserv, it only looks for the NTCPDRV vector. you can change where it looks in the QUIKSERV.INI file. if you don't change anything, it checks on 0x61 for it.

does the program work okay on the machine where you got it running?

I don't know what the problem was. Yes, I changed it in QUIKSERV.INI. Just call me incompetent and call it a day. :)) Anyway, I'll standardize my machines on 0x60 to make it easier to move programs around without changing much.

Yes, now the program works on both machines. I set them up to run www005 and QUIKSERV with each their identifying page. I also have two linux machines on the same network to check with. The results were interesting. Www005 didn't like serving to two machines. It also soon got itself confused about what it was actually supposed to send. For some reason it seemed to want an image file that never existed and never was specified by me. ...I read about it in the log! Hilarious. The bottom line is that www005 is just too buggy to use for much.

QUIKSERV had no problems serving to alternating clients and it runs smoothly on both DOS machines. Browsers used were Firefox, Konqueor, Dillo, and Links. What can I say. QUIKSERV works. It's easy to set up. It doesn't crash. So .... THANKS!

PS: Some logging would still be nice to have. :)

Mike Chambers said: "It will output log data to a file called QUIKSERV.LOG ..."

Great! I was writing my post while you did yours. (I type really fast, but think really slow :)) I'll try the logging right away.

Mike Chambers also said: "i am working on adding an FTP server to it that can run at the same time as the HTTP server."

That's got my vote!

Back