• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Old Mac for me!

pinto79

Hey all.

I was cruising Craigslist for old Macs like do frequently when I happened across an add I didn't read properly the first time around. Someone wanted to give away an iMac G3. For FREE!

So I emailed and said I was interested if they still had it. They did and after a drive out to a new development way out in the outer realm of Maple Ridge, I got my iMac and totally understand why it was still available almost two weeks after the posing went up.

here she is:

IMG_0656_zps7f152928.jpg

Summer 2001 Indigo iMac 500 MHz. Ram has been upgraded from the original 128 to 384 MB and it has a CR-RW Slot Loader along with the original Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse, AND the original restore disks, OS disks and the upgrade discs for 9.2.1 and 10.1

It had 9.2.1 and 10.1 installed, but nothing else of interest, so I ran the restore which installed 9.1 and 10.0 which was cool, but I wanted to try something different, so I installed 10.4 Tiger which is modern enough to do a few things with it.

I'm still on the hunt for 3 512MB memory modules for my PowerMac G4, and since this uses the same, I'll up m search to 5 pieces!

Thanks for looking!

I'm still on the hunt for 3 512MB memory modules for my PowerMac G4, and since this uses the same, I'll up m search to 5 pieces!

The Imac is finicky with memory modules, i had a try with mine but most of the ones i tried were not accepted (black screen, no boot...)

10.4 is probably a bit too much for the G3, will work, but will be slow.

Not sure about the later models, but I know the original Bondi iMacs use SODIMMs and not full-sized DIMMs like the Power Macs, so you might want to check into that.

It uses 168 pin PC100 SDRAM. Specs seem to be the same as the early PowerMac that I have. I'll install one of the modules I pulled from the G4 when I got some 256 modules for it...

Not sure about the later models, but I know the original Bondi iMacs use SODIMMs and not full-sized DIMMs like the Power Macs, so you might want to check into that.

The Imac is finicky with memory modules, i had a try with mine but most of the ones i tried were not accepted (black screen, no boot...)

10.4 is probably a bit too much for the G3, will work, but will be slow.

I'm not intending for this machine to do any real heavy lifting. I might toss a couple of games on it or have it stream from my network and be a jukebox. I mostly like to experience different versions of Operating systems.The only versions of OS X I haven't tried yet are Panther, Snow Leopard and Lion.

Mine accepted the first two random mismatched 256MB sticks I dug out of my junk box, and in a later upgrade it also accepted the first two random 512MB sticks I tried. Either my luck is exceptionally good, or yours is exceptionally bad.

Mine accepted the first two random mismatched 256MB sticks I dug out of my junk box, and in a later upgrade it also accepted the first two random 512MB sticks I tried. Either my luck is exceptionally good, or yours is exceptionally bad.
The G3-G5 Macs really are picky about what memory modules they'll accept, but it's mostly in the arrangement (something to do with the number/density of chips or something.) But as long as you meet the exact requirements, it doesn't really matter what brand or what nuances of timing you have or anything.

Just an update...

I found a 256MB memory stick in a pile of stuff, removed the 128 and installed the 256... BAM! 512MB Ram... Now if I could just find those 512s I bought for the PowerMac... I could try those and possibly get it up to the max. 1 gig...

I have installed TenFour Fox. It works pretty well. I'm considering a larger/faster hard drive for it along with another memory upgrade (1 gig, arrived but not installed yet) and then copying my music collection to it and use it as a jukebox.

Back