• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New PDP-11/23, have some questions!

I went ahead and flipped my switches to the same configuration as yours, but it still acts the same.

I know it's running the bootstrap code, as I can see it attempting to load from the TU-58 emulator. No matter what disk image I try though, it always stops and drops into ODT after block 0x0018. It takes it some time to get to 0x0018, but the entire time all of the LEDs on the BDV11 are on.

The only way I've gotten it to do something different was by using a custom boot image someone on here sent me earlier, which results in: "?BOOT-U-Conflicting SYSGEN options" before dropping back to ODT.

Since the loops and other tests I can enter via ODT seem to work, I'm going to do what I mentioned earlier in the thread and find some different memory.

What you expect from "different memory"? Are you talking about RAM? or external DISK? I've heard that XXDP wont work with enabled timer (I haven't tried myself). Have you tried loading RT11 over HX protocol?

I'm not convinced my M8044 is working right. PDP11GUI's memory test seems to like it, but I had to make some hardware fixes to it. I thought I'd some different RAM first. I haven't tried HX yet, but plan to soon!

Well I received my new M8044 today, and ... it works! Here's the results of booting one of the xxdp images via the TU-58 emulator:

NOT ENOUGH MEMORY TO BOOT XXDP-XM

BOOTING UP XXDP-SM SMALL MONITOR

XXDP-SM SMALL MONITOR - XXDP V2.6
REVISION: E0
BOOTED FROM DD0
28KW OF MEMORY
NON-UNIBUS SYSTEM

RESTART ADDRESS: 152010
TYPE "H" FOR HELP

So I guess it was just bad memory! One thing that's somewhat strange about my new M8044... It says M8044 on the tab, but on the board it says M8045. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but it seems to work!

I suppose now I should try to find more memory, since 32K isn't much.

Thanks for everyone's help! I should have tried a different memory board sooner!

Also, even though it seems to be running, all of the red LEDs are still on!

So I guess it was just bad memory! One thing that's somewhat strange about my new M8044... It says M8044 on the tab, but on the board it says M8045. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but it seems to work!

The M8044 is the MSV11-D. The M8045 is the MSV11-E. The difference is that the M8045 MSV11-E has parity while the M8044 MSV11-D does not. The base PCBs are the same but the parity support components are not populated on the M8044 MSV11-D.

MSV11-D,-E user's manual
http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/antonio/dec/msv1dop1.pdf

Great that you got it up and running! , next get the RL drive up and then you can have operating system and be doing something. Memory errors are evil! They don’t always appear as a problem and will cause weird effects. Because of the work you’re doing I have decided to go ahead and install the PDP-11 GUI on a newer computer and try playing around with that myself. Sounds imposable but I have always done this sort of stuff old school using dedicated terminals so interested to see just how well the GUI works with some of my hardware. Did the download and install on an old XP system last night but for some reason I can’t explain did not find the proper adapters and serial cable so going to build that up tonight and try it out. What preference did you use for communicating to your system? 11/03, 11/23 18 bit or 11/23 22 bit? Kind of disappointed they did not have a preference for an 11/34
I looked at the memory diagnostic built into the GUI but have to look at it closer to see how it works, still think it would be easy to write something in assembler that can write a set pattern to a memory location then read it back and compare for errors, increment one and repeat and then stop when it hits a error. I know XXDP has all that included and everyone loves that diagnostic tool but perhaps I am just too stupid to see the benefits of it the times that I have used it. Although will admit that it is good for confirming a bad card or drive issue after you have already determined that, and maybe good for determining that you have issues in your extended instruction set, MMU or FPU.

I can't remember right now how I configured PDP-11 GUI, but I can check later!

On XXDP, I was able to run the memory test just fine, but the CPU test fails. According to the docs, it fails and sticks some info into memory, which you can figure out by checking the microfiche docs, but I can't make sense of them yet.

I'm still not sure why all of my red LEDs are light, even though the system is operating.

The light thing is weird, maybe something wrong with the card? The only time I see all lights on is when the system is halted. Normal is one red and one green right next to each other. Went home at lunch and tried out new serial cable that goes between 11/23 and modern windows workstation and found that running Hyper terminal I can talk to the system and everything is good but using the GUI get this response about not being connected or configured correctly? Going to start a new thread about that and see what I am doing wrong there.

I'd like to figure out why the XXDP CPU test fails, but I'm not sure what microfiche files I should be looking at.

Bitsavers has these: http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp11/xxdp/fiche/

But they just seem to be a catalog of available diagnostic programs. Are there other microfiche files I should be looking for?

Edit: I somehow skipped over the other fiche directory on bitsavers, and I'm digging through those now!

Back