• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New series on restoration techniques?

stephenbuck

Experienced Member
Hi All,

I'm working on several vintage computer restorations, mostly DEC PDP-11 and earlier, and would like to start a series of threads on restoration techniques. I have some to share but hope to solicit many more from the group members. The threads would be titled something like "Classic Cleanup #1: Rusted metal chassis (DEC BA11)".

I would post before, during, and after photos in the hope that this information will help others. I'm sure that most, if not all, of this material has been covered elsewhere in the forums, but I think it would be useful to consolidate the information into a single series.

Which forum should these threads be posted to?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

If it's mostly DEC stuff then probably the DEC forum. Depending on what else it relates to then there should be forums for those too one would hope.

II think you can make a reasonable case for general discussion if the discussions/demonstrations are about restoration techniques in general. It sounds like the fact it's being done on DEC hardware is secondary.

Many of the skills for restoration (identifying and fixing cold solder joints, testing components in and out of circuit, fixing physical damage) are hardly brand specific. Hell, most of it works beyond computer stuff into general older electronics.

The more brand-specific thing I could see would be (still important) model-specific asides for safety and device protection (identifying the big capacitors that need to be discharged before working, or noting components that react with specific cleaners or are physically fragile).

Back