• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New to me PDP 11/23+

ScutBoy

Experienced Member
I recently came into an 11/23+ machine. It has a KDJ11-B CPU board, a MSV11-Q memory board, a SCSI board that was driving a SCSI Zip drive for boot media, and two cards that were used to control a laser cutter.

First issue is that there is no "bulkhead" to bring out the console connection, so I need to figure out how to get a terminal connected to the J1 SLU connector. This is 9 pins, but I can't seem to find definitive info on what the pin assignments are here, and exactly which pin is #1. Once I know these things, I'm sure I can make a cable with TX/RX/GND to get a console going. Anyone have pointers? I found a set of schematics but what I think is showing J1 doesn't make sense to me.

Then, I need to figure out how to get software set up to run the thing. I didn't receive any of the Zip media previously used, or any documentation for the machine. I'm guessing I can use SIMH and perhaps build a bootable Zip or other SCSI drive, but that will need to wait until I can at least talk to the thing. Lacking any other serial ports, I don't think I'll be able to take advantage fo the TU58 emulator or other solutions.

Looking forward to getting this guy up and running!

You can get every manual you need for pinouts and just in general over on bitsavers.org
You can use vtserver to move a filesystem over to a disk with just one serial port.
I'd take that zip disk out and hit it with a big hammer before going any farther though. Get a real SCSI disk, or you could use an emulator and that solves your media problem since you can move the system disk image over to the emulator.
Or you can break out the big-modernization guns and buy a Qbone.

If you don't get what you need off Bitsavers, ping me and I'll have a look at my serial cable.

The DLV11-J manual on bitsavers has the definitive pinout.

There should be one pin missing on the connector - this is the 'key' and is the clue to the polarity.

One side (I can't remember whether it is TX or RX) has both a positive and negative output. One if these (I also can't remember which at the moment) has to be connected to 0V/GND for correct operation with a PC. This is the rookie mistake!

I will fill in my blanks later. EDIT: Everything you need is here: https://avitech.com.au/?page_id=766.

The definitive DLV11-J pinouts are here: http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/qbus/EK-DLV1J-UG-001_DLV11-J_Users_Guide_Oct78.pdf.

It is the receiver that is dual-ended and one side (RD-) requires connecting to 0V/GND for correct operation with a PC.

If you have a second serial port, you can use an external TU58 tape drive emulator also in the interim.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks all. The CPU board - KDJ11-B has only the one serial port, so I will use that to get a console up and running, and the machine bootable off some SCSI device. Then I'll decide if I want another serial board for some terminals, some kind of networking, or ?

Going on mini-vacation for the week, so this is going to sit for a while.

Thanks all. The CPU board - KDJ11-B has only the one serial port, so I will use that to get a console up and running, and the machine bootable off some SCSI device. Then I'll decide if I want another serial board for some terminals, some kind of networking, or ?

Going on mini-vacation for the week, so this is going to sit for a while.
An 11/23+ has two serial ports and uses a KDF11 CPU.
If that's a KDJ11B board, then what you have is a PDP-11/73+ rather than a 11/23+ and you'll have better luck with support the more you make that clear since there are important differences.
It's a much more desirable board though, so congratulations.

Here's one place you can download VTserver, which will allow you to use a single serial port machine to load an OS onto your system.

An 11/23+ has two serial ports and uses a KDF11 CPU.
If that's a KDJ11B board, then what you have is a PDP-11/73+ rather than a 11/23+ and you'll have better luck with support the more you make that clear since there are important differences.
It's a much more desirable board though, so congratulations.

Here's one place you can download VTserver, which will allow you to use a single serial port machine to load an OS onto your system.

Thanks for the download link! it wasn't until after I dug in a bit that I realized that the label on the front (11/23+) didn't match up with the actual board. Yes, it is the KDJ11B board, so an 11/73 it is.

I will check out VTserver. I had also considered building a bootable volume in SIMH and then dd'ing it across to some other SCSI device; seems like this should work as well.

Back