• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New video: My daughter playing King's Quest on my PCjr.

Anonymous Freak

Veteran Member
Thanks to a couple forum members here, my daughter is now addicted to King's Quest, so I had to share.
[video]http://gallery.me.com/ehurtley#100474[/video]

- Vimeo link not active quite yet, MobileMe link to die in a few months. :-/

That's awesome... I wish I had a PCjr monitor to match my jr. Also, I tried to get my 9 year old daughter into King's Quest on the Atari ST, but the disks are corrupt.

Awesome! Wish I could have gotten my older one to play adventure games, I think she would have enjoyed them but its hard to sell those graphics to the PS3 generation.

Cute kid to man.

I take it that the box arrived in good condition and you were happy with the contents. :)

Don't forget to update the feedback page at the marketplace ...

Mike

Thanks to a couple forum members here, my daughter is now addicted to King's Quest, so I had to share

Very cool, dude! I'm so glad that particular Jr found a good home! Curious - did your KQ come from Mike Brutman on the VCM, or did you have to resort to fleabay? (I'm still looking for versions that included the keyboard overlays for my Sierra collection, but have two copies of the game w/o the overlays)

Nice find on the first-release KQII w/ the gatefold cover, as well. Those are getting harder and harder to find, and are pulling more and more at auction lately (sadly, it and KQ3 are two of the gatefold 1st-releases I'm missing from the collection)

That's awesome... I wish I had a PCjr monitor to match my jr. Also, I tried to get my 9 year old daughter into King's Quest on the Atari ST, but the disks are corrupt.

Don't forget that Atari ST images can be written on a DOS machine. Google is your friend and can help people find many such things... :)

Last edited:
Very cool, dude! I'm so glad that particular Jr found a good home! Curious - did your KQ come from Mike Brutman on the VCM, or did you have to resort to fleabay? (I'm still looking for versions that included the keyboard overlays for my Sierra collection, but have two copies of the game w/o the overlays)

Nice find on the first-release KQII w/ the gatefold cover, as well. Those are getting harder and harder to find, and are pulling more and more at auction lately (sadly, it and KQ3 are two of the gatefold 1st-releases I'm missing from the collection)

Yeah, KQ2 still has its cellophane with original $39.99 price tag on it! (I can't open the gatefold for the cellophane, and I'm not sure I WANT to remove the cellophane.)

Also have the wonderful Infocom "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" complete with all original accessories. (The "Don't Panic" button is on my hat, though.) *SOMEWHERE* I have the boxed "Zork Trilogy" with all original accessories; except the Zorkmid, it's my 'lucky coin'.

Did you win that KQ2 copy on ebay a few weeks ago? - I seem to remember seeing one that had cellophane and the original price sticker on it. I was just edged out on that one ;)

Again, glad to see that the Jr found a good home, and glad to see that your daughter's enjoying it!

No, found it on another auction site, "Bonanza". Was hesitant to buy it there, having never heard of the site before, but it was cheap.

Out of curiosity, what did it sell for on eBay?

No, found it on another auction site, "Bonanza". Was hesitant to buy it there, having never heard of the site before, but it was cheap.

Out of curiosity, what did it sell for on eBay?

Have never heard of Bonanza... just picked up a few things from there. Thanks for the link! That copy on fleabay closed for over $25... as I already have several copies of KQ2, I couldn't see going higher than $10 for that particular copy.

Don't forget that Atari ST images can be written on a DOS machine. Google is your friend and can help people find many such things... :)

Yup, I knew that (720Kb, but only 1 FAT, not 2 like MS-DOS, although MS-DOS disks will work). I did that to get HiSoft Professional BASIC back after my originals went bad.

I dunno... I tried to get King's Quest once, but could never find working images.

Nice video. I find it hard sometimes to get younger kids to play older games, but you made it work!

My daughter loves old games. She also plays old games on my Apple II, and has even played (with my reading/typing assistance) a couple Infocom games. I'm hoping that by this time next year, she'll be confident enough at reading and writing/typing to play Infocom games on her own.

I don't have much games for my Apple IIc. I just have the games included on some of the old Uptime and Softdisk publication disks. Some of those disks have a Tunes and Songs section, and even a Hacker Interview section.

Thanks for sharing, that was the most adorable video I have seen in ages, it's wonderful to see your daughter is enjoying those classic games. She reminds me so much of myself when I was her age, what a lucky girl with such cool parents raising her as a retro gamer. :)

Ah... I miss when I was in Grade 2 playing MS-DOS games on my old IBM. It was exhilarating discovering all of those new sounds and graphics.
Of course this was when all the games had redbook CD-audio and SVGA 320x240 graphics (what a spoiled gamer I am!).

It's worthy to note that even graphics today can't beat some of the amazing colour and detail in those old games (especially when they were hand-drawn, it looks much better than stock 3D models).

Having a vivid CRT can just cascade flowing colours in such magical ways.

This is really very nice and amazing video i think kids can not play games like this or some old games stuff so it did by your
child .this is a creativity.

Back