• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Northstar emulator

chuckcmagee

Veteran Member
Only took me about 10 minutes to finally remember the NDOS "dir" command. Yes, I tried "list" and it worked. I was amazed that I could not remember a single CP/M command. I finally had to google "northstar ndos" to get the emulator to work. Man, those WEREN'T the days. I only had 1 floppy drive back then so I had to "chop up" files into 16K chunks, copy each piece to new disk, then patch the directory entries to "put the file back together". Plus, if you left the cover off of your S100 Z80 computer, your static ram chips would burn up. I managed to burn my fingers more than once checking if they were too hot. They usually were.
Chuck

N* DOS is not identical to CP/M. There is no 'LIST' command in plain-vanilla CP/M...
CP/M has only five (or six) built-in commands: DIR, TYPE, REN, ERA, SAVE & (USER). Other commands (PIP, STAT, etc) are 'transient' commands, loaded from disk, and executed at run-time.

--T

Last edited:
Yep, my exposure to NDos was very slight. I knew they were not the same. I was just remarking how little I could remember. My Vector Graphics/1 came with CP/M (well, after I paid for a floppy disk drive it did).

Wow, it's great reading all of these discussions on old CP/M. I'm afraid that even though I "came up" in computers during the proper time, my only CP/M exposure was to a bootleg copy of Montezuma Micro CP/M on my TRS-80 Model IV and 4P.

Of course after years of using MS-DOS, a lot of the CP/M commands make sense. Which is why I had quite a problem when I first started using Linux. None of the commands I was familiar with worked! Sure, now a days you can tell most installers to use DOS commands (or just make aliases yourself), but back in 1998, It was all wilderness man! ;-)

Nope, "dir" no work in N*Dos. Have to use "LI". And, you use "unit numbers" A:=1 B:=2 etc.

Chuck

Back