• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

NOS Collegiate Pack Unopened/Factory Sealed IBM PS/2 8525

killijin

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and would like to say hello. Secondly, long time reader first time poster. I found this in one of my old computer boxes and I would like to get a price and or offer for the following:

NOS Collegiate Pack: IBM 8525
1. IBM Personal System/2 Model 25 Guide to Operations and Starter Diskette - new/sealed - 75X1051
2. IBM Disk Operation System 3.30 - new/sealed - 6280060
3. Microsoft Windows 1.04 3.5" with paint, write, user guide, license, and desktop applications. new/partially sealed ( the top and bottom seams have given way) - 01F0188 - minor damage to the user guide on the exposed corner where the plastic has torn. The disks have never been used, ever.
Can post pictures on request.
Feel free to contact me via email: computertechnician@outlook.com

Um, just to throw in my two cents, I'd hang on to it until a 25 w/o comes along, and then either play with it, or sell the machine AND the docs/software.
Of course, if you're like me, you end up somehow never quite getting to the selling it, once you have the docs & software, because then of course it becomes interesting.
By itself...
patscc

I have no idea as to what I should price this at.. that's why I was hoping someone here could tell me what it is currently worth. Sorry about the extended delay I have been really busy. Here are the photos: SDC13316.jpg$T2eC16J,!)sE9swm(yUTBQKt!zqQgw~~60_57.jpgSDC13317.jpg if you have any questions feel free to ask.. Have a good week!

Take this for what you will... But a guy last year was selling several NOS copies of the large-box Collegiate packs that included the hard binder DOS 3.30, Mouse, manuals, etc - everything you've got pictured and more. I got mine for $38 shipped after a 10-day auction. He had 5 total, and while I've not looked constantly, I haven't seen one listed since. Mine was the 2nd-highest selling price of the 5 that he sold, with the first one going for (IIRC) $42+ship. Honestly, the seller would have gotten more out of it by breaking up and selling the boxed/shrinkwrapped mouse and DOS 3.30 separately, then starting the others at 99 cents and letting the bids fall where they may. Though, from a collector's standpoint, I'm glad to see that the seller was conscientiousness enough to not do that and to keep those sets together.

FWIW to prospective buyers... this guy is an ebay seller that apparently doesn't have a problem cancelling bids and ending an auction if his item that starts at $0.99 with a high BIN but no reserve doesn't go as high as he'd like after bids have been placed. Most recently (that I've seen) done on Aug 27th auction for a NOS PS/2 Model 25 (8525) Quick Reference Guide with Starter/Reference Disk (I was the high bidder on that one, the lone bidder, actually). I say this not out of maliciousness towards the seller (those of you here that know me know I'm not that way), but just as a general buyer-beware. I'd rather that you guys be warned and know what could potentially happen than being overly upset after the fact. And to the OP... this isn't intended to start a flame-war. I just believe in being open about such things when they've happened, exactly as I indicated to you in my ebay message concerning the aforementioned auction.

Last edited:
Alright... now that I had a minute to snag my Collegiate Kit from the office... here's some pix! Mainly because unless the OP has other items that he hasn't photographed, his set is incomplete (not that he or really anyone else would know unless they saw it back in the day - up until I saw the ebay auctions that got me my complete kit, I had never seen photographs, either - and I spent hours looking)

So... without further ado.... (assuming I can figure out how to post pictures to the forum....)

IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1649.jpg IMG_1650.JPG

Note - my interior items, save for DOS v3.30, are unopened (the DOS was unfortunately open when I received mine - I guess I was the lucky one who's Kit was taken apart for the ebay photos!). The disks for the Collegiate Kit itself, which contains the Windows v1.04 (or is it 1.05?) are enclosed an in envelope sealed in with the Windows/Paint manual. Oh, and it apparently came with some blank floppy disks too - kind've cool to give the student-buyer a few floppies to save that schoolwork!

Oh, also OP - I have .IMG disk image files of the Collegiate Kit diskettes from my open, working set. If you'd like copies of these to provide to your prospective buyer along with the sealed copies, PM me. Though the stipulation is that you use a reserve to get your minimum desired rate and not cancel bids and end the auction early ;) (yes, that's a joke.... but still, IMO - and in many others - that's poor practice and part of what's wrong with ebay today)

Last edited:
I can at my discretion decide to end the auction early, I wanted to list it as a set and I have done so, I have a starting bid of 50 dollars and for all three pieces, it is Microsoft Windows version 1.04 btw, and as long as it gets one bid @ 50 dollars I am not canceling. There are 4 days left as of this post, feel free to bid on it. Is it worth 50 for all 3 pieces of software? that is subjective. I think it is though. There was no point of acting like a spoiled child about it. I ended the auction, that is MY right. You had no place to come in and tell me how I should conduct myself as per YOUR standards.. I digress. There it is, if anyone wants it you can have it. Happy bidding.

Thanks for that, Pat. Apparently I was an ass and a liar for telling him that guaranteeing a minimum on a sale is what a reserve price was for, and that ebay's policies frowned on ending auctions early because the seller didn't like what the auction was going to close at. Not that there's any real way that buyers have to go after a seller for such practices. Nor is there really much for a seller to go after a buyer for retracting bids. It's just that I choose not to participate in what, to me, is killing ebay (these kind of practices), and I see nothing wrong with calling someone out for doing it - sellers, or buyers.

OP, offer still stands on the disk images to offer your buyer. It just guarantees that they get a "working" copy to go along with the licensed copy that they're purchasing from you, and can sometimes help out with the sale.

As an aside... it would be nice if ebay would send out notifications to bidders when a seller cancels their bids, or ends an auction early. Years ago, ebay did that, but I've had this happen relatively frequently in the last year or so, and never once received a message about it from ebay.

Last edited:
As an aside... it would be nice if ebay would send out notifications to bidders when a seller cancels their bids, or ends an auction early. Years ago, ebay did that, but I've had this happen relatively frequently in the last year or so, and never once received a message about it from ebay.

I think they still do. At least I've gotten notices of "Sorry you didn't win" on both Best Offers and a slightly different message for closed auctions. Yeah, eBay is going down hill fast since my last rant a few months back my buying has gone down 60-70% and still heading down. Oh well. Someone else will rise up and take their place eventually or maybe, just maybe we can get this hobby back to the old days where people were not paying close to a $1000 for a copy of DOS!

I seem to be having more and more problems when I have eBay open, and then want to use PayPal for a non-eBay transaction. Anyone else having these problems, or is it just me.
patscc

I've run into issues with E-Bay lately too. When an auction was cancelled because the seller didn't like the fact that his item wasn't getting the bids they thought they was supposed to get, Ebay did nothing. In my opinion, E-Bay is the one entity here who is allowing sellers to cancel their auctions, basically in order to push the price. I'm sorry, but if a seller put an item up for auction with a starting bid of $0.99, and someone wins the auction, the seller should be prepared for the fact that sometimes things do sell very cheaply. It's not my fault that the seller didn't get any other bidders or offers, or that the opening bid was set too low, or even that the item wasn't wort more to begin with. The point is, I won the item, and then the seller chose to not honor that sale! I see this all to often on E-Bay. And as long as E-Bay condones that behavior, nothing will be done about it. In the end, E-Bay itself will fail because of the lack of legitimate sales.

I think they still do. At least I've gotten notices of "Sorry you didn't win" on both Best Offers and a slightly different message for closed auctions. Yeah, eBay is going down hill fast since my last rant a few months back my buying has gone down 60-70% and still heading down. Oh well. Someone else will rise up and take their place eventually or maybe, just maybe we can get this hobby back to the old days where people were not paying close to a $1000 for a copy of DOS!

"Seller's remorse" has been going on since the day eBay was started, and the problem is, there really isn't any way to prove it. Like when I was the winning bidder on an item and the seller told me he couldn't sell it because he "dropped it down the stairs". That was probably a lie, but what if it was true? Neither eBay nor I would be able to tell for sure.

Well, one big tip-off is if the item gets relisted.
patscc

Yeah, eBay still won't do anything about it. For a while eBay was getting better and getting the sellers under control. They were actually well behaved for a while but now the bad ones are coming out again. Mind you MOST seller's are good guys but it just takes a small minority to tarnish everyone's image. Anyhow, this portion of the thread is best saved for "Rants and Raves" as we are getting way OT!

Well, one big tip-off is if the item gets relisted.
patscc

Again there are legitimate excuses for that, such as having more than one of the same item, or maybe the seller just decided to clean up the item better and take more photos of it, in hope that it would then get higher bids. In that case, the seller should revise the existing listing instead of taking it down and posting a new one, but eBay processes such a high volume of listings and would have so many false positives of trying to restrict these kinds of actions that it's just not worth their trouble to do so.

After all, blocking a seller from relisting the same item would mean eBay losing out on the revenue they would get from its sale... and why on Earth would they do that? They're in the business to make a profit, not to be a consumer advocate. And they have no obligation to non-winning bidders, after all. Right in their official rules, they say "each bid you make is a binding contract to buy the item if you win" (emphasis mine). If you weren't the winning bidder, or if the seller ended the auction early, then your bid is not a binding contract, even if you were the highest bidder. The highest bidder has no legal ground to stand on unless they were also the winning bidder.

Back