• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OCZ RevoDrive - Hardcard reborn?

Similar cards have been around for the past few years. Beats the old hardcard because there won't be as much vibration.

I have an 8bit ISA Hard Card using Intel Flash chips, it comes with a whopping 24k of storage, the firmware expects a 286 CPU or Nec20.

I tried it in an IBM 5150 with a 286 accelerator card, and it booted DOS no problem, the card can be upgraded to 128k (I think)..

Similar concept to a hardcard, and similar idea, to get the benefit of mass storage without filling up available drive bays. The Revodrive gives you the benefits of RAIDing together a bunch of SSDs for high performance, without a mess of drives and cables. There's some talk of creating a new standard that bypasses the SATA bus, since the SATA bus sometimes is the bottleneck. But I think electrically, the Revodrive is still a bunch of SATA connections going to SATA SSD controllers.

I remember evaluating an ISA FLASH drive some 15 years ago. It had something like 512k on it, and cost $200-ish. (Of course, at the time we were shipping PC based turn-key systems with software on 1.44MB floppy; the system boots from the floppy drive and once started is never turned off.)

Back