• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ok, qbVNC is majorly updated and stable (download!)

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
ok i am editing this post because i just finished compiling a MAJOR update to qbVNC client for DOS that I am very very happy with.

I get no more lockups or errors. The only time it didnt work for me was when I tried it on a 286 5 MHz... i think it was just too slow to allow my program to process incoming data in time, so when TCPDRV's buffer filled up the machine just crapped out and locked up. It works on my 386.

I'm thinking about adding an option use XMS/EMS or a swap file to store waiting data to solve this problem. (yea i know a swap file would suck on old computers, but for some that could be the only option)

I've finished CoRRE decoding routines which runs about 5 times faster than raw, like I was using before.

Also, the README.TXT is much much better and is over 4 KB now heh. okay, here it is then... i'm attaching the ZIP file. mbbrutman you should check out the CoRRE decoding, you'll see what I mean about it being faster. It still kinda sucks on a 386, but it's useable.

btw, i've already begun work on VESA routines and they'll be in the next release whenever that is, along with DES encryption routines so that you can finally connect to password-protected servers. :)

Attachments

• qbvnc002.zip
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
here's what i've got so far with the new version (including the new easy-to-use connect menu screen i put together) of my VNC client for DOS-based PC's

it's buggy right now, and has a max res of 640x480... i'll be adding VESA though, i promise!...

...let me know how it works for you if you try it! (less than a 486 is not reccomended, but it will work even on an 8086/8088 if it has a VGA card)
I was interested even when you had it as 320x200 256-color, because I think that is the most that can be had out of the 8086-based PS/2 Model 25 & 30 ("MCGA" video). But I'll look it over, time willing. And leaf through the source.

I was interested even when you had it as 320x200 256-color, because I think that is the most that can be had out of the 8086-based PS/2 Model 25 & 30 ("MCGA" video). But I'll look it over, time willing. And leaf through the source.

yeah, thats true... i didnt even think about MCGA. i should put a note in the readme saying 320x200x256 is the best you can do if you have one of those.

what i'm working on now is the ability to scroll the screen around with the mouse. like if the remote desktop is 1024x768 and you are using 320x200 you'll be able to scroll to see other parts of the screen.

the only reason i can crank out programs so fast i think is because QB makes it easier than most languages.

Two days?! That's quick. I have tried out programming before, and It wasn't easy! I have even tried to make a widgit, but that got to hard. I have done some programming on my apple II's though!:D That takes a lot of typing!

just bumping this thread because of a major major update. i edited the first post with new info.

I was interested even when you had it as 320x200 256-color, because I think that is the most that can be had out of the 8086-based PS/2 Model 25 & 30 ("MCGA" video).

There's also 640x480 monochrome, and whatever you can tweak out of 64k video RAM (like, 640x400 in 4 colors APA or 16 colors A/N with char redefinition). I'll be looking into programming the MCGA when I set up my 8530 into a workable development machine.

There's also 640x480 monochrome, and whatever you can tweak out of 64k video RAM (like, 640x400 in 4 colors APA or 16 colors A/N with char redefinition). I'll be looking into programming the MCGA when I set up my 8530 into a workable development machine.

hmm.... i COULD try to implement dithering code to go down to monochrome... that would look absolutely horrible though.

lol at one point i even had an 80x50 16-color text mode in it just to see how it'd look. it did look good but uh... just the mouse cursor alone took up about 1/10 of the screen lol.

hmm.... i COULD try to implement dithering code to go down to monochrome... that would look absolutely horrible though.

But it could work on Hercules then :D Now there's a point in that - a Hercules card (or any clone) works plug-n-play along with any color card (CGA,EGA,VGA) giving a dual-head display... Now you could use your computer as usual and have control over a remote machine on the herc monitor :rockedov:

lol at one point i even had an 80x50 16-color text mode in it just to see how it'd look. it did look good but uh... just the mouse cursor alone took up about 1/10 of the screen lol.

There's a trick used on some CGA games that gives 160x100 16-color in textmode... You can try that one too if you're curious.

It won't work on Hercules, because he'd need to implement a driver for that. No BIOS supports the HGC.

But I have another problem:
I want to actually use qbVNC. :) But it doesn't work like I want it to.
The system is a AcerNote 760i notebook without hard disk.
The old version (qbVNC *PRE-RELEASE* ; without any GUI) works for me (albeit very slow in VGA16 screen mode, a lot faster in 320x200x8 ), the newer version doesn't.
I have to press ESC after reading "Authentication: None" before anything happened. But then the real trouble begins.
In Raw mode, it prints very slowly some lines, whereas in CoRRE mode it prints some kind of blocks. But extremely slowly (like 10 secs per line or 30 secs per block) and after some lines (or a block) the program dies, printing out:
FATAL ERROR: Had handle call (handle #0)
Forcing close socket.

Like I said, version 1 works great for me. Is the source for it available, too?

Regards,
Svenska

Back