• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old laptops and WiFi

nymetropolitans

Experienced Member
Can anybody make some suggestions as to what to look for, and where? I've wanted a laptop for a long time now, but I've been after affordably priced PII type machines until I started reading this site (and others). I don't think it'll be any cheaper, but it certainly would be a lot cooler to have a 486 (or 386 maybe?) wirelessly connected at 15Mbits through my cable hookup.

I plan on actually using it like a modern PC, so from what I've read I need at least a 32-bit PCMCIA type-II slot and something that will run Windows 95 (or NT 3.51?) at the bare minimum...this is mainly for compatibility with Firefox or whatever other modern browser will run on something that old. That also means I'll probably need a lot of RAM but that's getting ahead of myself...

Is this pure fantasy or has it been done? It seems like a realistic possiblity...

It'd be possible with alot...ALOT of extra time on your hands to get a 486 wireless, via PCMCIA. If you only need wireless at home in a relatively fixed location(Depending on cord length) you could install an ethernet card in the PCMCIA slot and connect that to something that makes a regular ethernet cord go wireless. The computer thinks it is on a wire, but is connected to an adapter that is wireless...Minus the power and ethernet cord, anyhow. I've got one of those around, but dont want to have to search for it to get the model number. I can if you really care to know, though.

As for the rest of the the description of what you want. Just what are the requirements for this laptop to do? With that information, I'll be able to realistically tell you what type of laptop you'll need. Otherwise, might as well be shooting in the dark.

--Ryan

It'd be possible with alot...ALOT of extra time on your hands to get a 486 wireless, via PCMCIA. If you only need wireless at home in a relatively fixed location(Depending on cord length) you could install an ethernet card in the PCMCIA slot and connect that to something that makes a regular ethernet cord go wireless. The computer thinks it is on a wire, but is connected to an adapter that is wireless...Minus the power and ethernet cord, anyhow. I've got one of those around, but dont want to have to search for it to get the model number. I can if you really care to know, though.

As for the rest of the the description of what you want. Just what are the requirements for this laptop to do? With that information, I'll be able to realistically tell you what type of laptop you'll need. Otherwise, might as well be shooting in the dark.

--Ryan

Just basic internet stuff (WWW, email, instant messaging), being able to run some version of Microsoft Office (or similar), play mp3s....nothing too graphic or cpu intensive. I'm assuming you can't get something like YouTube to work on a 486... but it'd be nice.

What are the benefits of the wireless ethernet bridge vs. PCMCIA? Just the fact that you probably can't get drivers for software that old or something else? The ethernet adapter is intriguing for even older equipment since it doesn't require a driver....does the power cord need an A/C power source or can it somehow run off the computer's battery? Thanks for taking the time to deal with my stupid questions! :)

I used to have a PCMCIA 802.11b cisco wireless card in my Stinkpad 750. It actually had a DOS driver! I bought the card at a time when practically nobody was running wireless, and I was fooled into believing there were decent access points on university campus. I ended up selling it since I lived in a concrete dormitory and reception was poor. At that time wireless routers were still pretty damn expensive. I think I must have paid a good $200 for that card. You can get them on ebay relatively cheap now, so you might want to check it out.

Just basic internet stuff (WWW, email, instant messaging), being able to run some version of Microsoft Office (or similar), play mp3s....nothing too graphic or cpu intensive. I'm assuming you can't get something like YouTube to work on a 486... but it'd be nice.

What are the benefits of the wireless ethernet bridge vs. PCMCIA? Just the fact that you probably can't get drivers for software that old or something else? The ethernet adapter is intriguing for even older equipment since it doesn't require a driver....does the power cord need an A/C power source or can it somehow run off the computer's battery? Thanks for taking the time to deal with my stupid questions! :)

The advantage of PCMCIA over a wireless bridge is cost and portability.

Windows 98 will run very nicely on a 486. The only drawback is RAM; I think you'd be very lucky to find a 486 that can take 64MB of RAM (probably tops out at 32MB). You can do all internet stuff using lightweight clients like Opera for the browser.

What is your real goal? Is it to get wireless internet working on a 486 laptop? Or is your real goal just a very very inexpensive laptop you can carry with you to do wireless internet? If the latter, don't waste your time with a 486 laptop and just look for a Pentium or Pentium II laptop.

If you insist on having a 486 laptop I highly recommend the IBM Stinkpads. It's relatively easy to get replacement parts for them and you can service them yourself. I like my TP750 because is has a monochrome screen. You might want to consider the TP755 though because they support internal CD-ROM drives (if that's important to you). In order to install software on my TP750 I often use a PCMCIA SCSI adapter to connect with an external SCSI CD-ROM. I believe the TP755 also has a DX4 @ 75MHz versus the 33MHz DX in mine. The TP750 can unofficially be upgraded to 36MB of RAM, I think the TP755 supports at least 40MB. Both use proprietary memory expansion cards which aren't rare but not easy to find either. TP750 has an optional 5x86-133 replacement planar kit. I'm planning to slice off the PQFP chip on my board and do the mod myself when I have a moment.

Stay away from Pentium Stinkpads. They're shit from what I've seen. Lots of electrical issues.

I keep having ideas, but then keep shooting holes in them before I post. I don't think bluetooth would serve you as it's only good for a few feet. I did a quick ebay search for serial wireless and it seems that the prices have gone up, so that's out, too. Cisco pcmcia turned up a few gems, though, nice suggestion, Anonymous.

I had my heart set on using the serial port, though.

Play MP3s...Surf the basic internet...Instant messenging...

All together, sounds like your looking at a Pentium; that is, if you want something that can do it at a good speed. My Packard Bell Legend 2440 has a 75MHz Pentium 1 processor and does all the stuff you want a laptop to be able to do. Mine isn't a laptop, but they should compare. With Windows 98, MP3s are possible (mine's got 95). Windows 95 suppors Messenger 5.0, IIRC, and even surfs the net great. It gets right up on the forums, displays pages with basic graphics well. Stay away from eBay thoug, those pages take forever. My Packard even has Office 95 on it, all with 64MB RAM. When I upgrade it to 128MB, it'll be even better.

Seems this isn't the "off-topic" area, I feel I should mention this, too. A high-end 486 might get the job done for you, especially if you max out the RAM. Don't be planning to get a 386 unless you like taking all day to load a single webpage.

--Ryan
P.S. My Packard was running Internet Explorer 5.0(or was it 6?) just fine. I believe it can even run on Windows 3.11.

if you want to play mp3 files, you are NOT going to be able to use a 386. not a snowball's chance in hell unless you like waiting about twice as long as the length of the song for it to convert to WAV then you play that. :p

browsing the web would be hell on a 386 too. they're just too weak to even handle today's most mundane tasks at anywhere near "acceptable speed". 486 is not going to like playing mp3 files either, unless it's a fast one and you do not plan on any multitasking while it's playing. in fact, you'll probably want to be in DOS mode using a DOS player to make sure you don't get any drop out in the audio.

honestly, you will need at least a pentium 1 and i highly reccommend at least a pentium 2.

i didn't mean to turn this into a sales pitch, but if you want a good deal on a pretty good laptop i'm selling a 1.6 Ghz Sony VAIO with 512 MB of RAM over in this thread:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=11262

you would be much happier with that rather than pulling your hair out trying to make wifi work in DOS lol. just imagine, you could even play DVDs and divx video if you're bored! :)

I think that the DX/4 100 and am5x86-133 are just barely able to play 44khz 128kbit MP3s. You have to keep in mind that 486 laptops pretty much never have any L2 cache either, which would probably knock the performance down a good 25%. I think even a lot of Pentium laptops don't have L2 cache in them either. If you want to play MP3s, then go for a P133 or something.

Last edited:
While it's not a PC laptop, I have gotten a circa-1995 PowerBook 190 (Motorola 68040, roughly equivalent to a 486,) up and running on WiFi just fine. And others have gotten the older (in spite of numbering) PowerBook 500-series online just fine. (The 190 series has PCMCIA slots by default, it was an option on the earlier 500 series.) I ran Mac OS 7.6, used a WaveLAN card, and ran iCab 2.9.9 (the last reasonably modern web browser for the "Classic" Mac OS.)

Playing mp3s is not absolutely necessary, in fact nothing is really, I'd just like to get one for the sake of messing with it. If it gets too tedious to do everyday modern things on, I'll just get another one! :D

I'd like to start amassing another collection of ridiculous ancient computers, I used to enjoy playing around with them but it's been a looong time. I recently set up a small office network for my dad using junky early model P4 Dells and that got me in the mood. I also have some weird fascination with old crap that I've never been able to shake...autism maybe? Who knows...in any case thanks for all the help, I'm definitely gonna try to find a DX4 sounds like it'll fit me the best. I guess I wouldn't sneeze at a P1 either but the novelty of having such an old computer is too appealing!!

I think that the DX/4 100 and am5x86-133 are just barely able to play 44khz 128kbit MP3s. You have to keep in mind that 486 laptops pretty much never have any L2 cache either, which would probably knock the performance down a good 25%. I think even a lot of Pentium laptops don't have L2 cache in them either. If you want to play MP3s, then go for a P133 or something.
----
Makes you think, comparing power & memory of "serious" machines like those were a few years ago to one of those tiny $20.00 2GB USB-stick MP3 players; guess we'll see someone surfing the 'Web on one of those soon, but the keyboard's gonna be a real PITA...

m

190cs, tell me more!

190cs, tell me more!

Yeah, I have a 190cs and it's a peppy little sucker. I was actually surprised with how well it runs, considering its vintage.

This is making me want to get another 520C and see what it can do. Mine has some kind of memory error, and the picture is messed up. I found one for sale for just under $20 shipped that needs chassis parts which I have and I am seriously tempted by it!

Druid, tell me more about your laptop, even if it's PM'd to me. I can't remember if the 520 has pcmcia slots and it's buried so I can't really get to it. Did you use it wirelessly? If it weren't so difficult I'd start seeing about making an ADB eifi card :) Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Nathan

If you want a 486 laptop, it will probalby have 16bit PCMCIA, which will not work with a 32bit card, so you will have to hunt for a old pcmcia card, the first 32bit pcmcia came up in late p1's, and mostly on p2's and up. But even my 150mhz p1 compaq presario has 16bit pcmcia, but luckily my friend had an old 16bit 802.11b card with windows 95 drivers. But it didn't have 3.1 drivers, so you might have to upgrade to 95, im pretty sure when 3.1 came out, or even 95 they didn't know that there could ever be high speed internet broadcasted wirelessly.

Back