• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old software-useful or useless?

squirrel-steam

Experienced Member
I have some old software I got from my advanced placement high school, they had a back room full of old computers and software.

I have the following:

Microsoft windows 3.1 (5.25" 1.2m), no disks, only box and documentation
Learning and using dbase III plus (for your 16bit ibm or compatable), all install disks (360k 5.25") help disks, and documentation
Macromind Director for windows 3.1 all install diskettes, and documentation
Novell Intranetware all install disks (360K 5.25") and all documentation

I have some old software I got from my advanced placement high school, they had a back room full of old computers and software.

I have the following:

Microsoft windows 3.1 (5.25" 1.2m), no disks, only box and documentation
Learning and using dbase III plus (for your 16bit ibm or compatable), all install disks (360k 5.25") help disks, and documentation
Macromind Director for windows 3.1 all install diskettes, and documentation
Novell Intranetware all install disks (360K 5.25") and all documentation

The Microsoft Windows 3.1 stuff is a dime a dozen - they must have made millions of copies, you can get them still in the shrink wrap on eBay. But the other stuff might fetch twenty bucks each if somebody wants it.

My guess for you.

Sean

I collect old applications for the machines I use. People tend to pay quite a bit for old games they wanted or never finished, but rarely pay much for old apps unless they are super rare and NIB.

I have tons of older apps that I barely paid more then shipping for. It just seems like most collectors want the hardware and the software/manuals get forgotten or trashed along the way.

I collect old applications for the machines I use. People tend to pay quite a bit for old games they wanted or never finished, but rarely pay much for old apps unless they are super rare and NIB.

I have tons of older apps that I barely paid more then shipping for. It just seems like most collectors want the hardware and the software/manuals get forgotten or trashed along the way.

Hi
I don't think that is true. Most people selling computers have lost
the documents and software. That doesn't mean that those
buying them are not interested.
I would much rather buy a machine with docs and software than
just a machine.
Dwight

As far as it being useful or useless, that Novell package may be useful for that kind of network ifyou want to implement it. If it were me, and I had the machines to do it I would. The dBase might also be nice to work with, again, given the machine is there and the person wants to learn about it.

Agreed about the win3.11 disks, though if you build a vintage machine it's good to have a copy.

Nathan

I don't know, if people paid money for old apps then people will start keeping them around. While some people want the stuff, not that many are willing to spend a decent amount for them.

I know plenty of people who spend decent money for hardware, but seem to pirate all the software even if they can buy it.

It all depends on the collector I guess.

it's depend on your need, if you are using old PC then it's ok for you otherwise it is useless for u

Back