• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old TTL monitors

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
I'm trying to get serious about liquidating my collection. Instead I seem to be increasing it all-be-it with handhelds lately. Years ago I would scoop in thrift shops any monitor that had configuration switches on the back, hoping I could find one that worked with my STs or other RGB home computers. As a result in my storage area I have some quality TTL monitors, and at least 1 or 2 EGA monitors. Samsung, Quad, TVM, and Tatung as well as my favorised NEC were some of the brands.

Is there still any market for older monitors ? I'm not sure whether any of my old computers can even work with them. I think a couple of them even had overscan switches. And of course color/mono and other incomprehensible config switches.
Even a hi-resolution Compaq mono and a Radius full-page Mac beast so favored by commercial writers.

Increased shipping prices has to have affected the desire for many of these . Possibly I should mate each with a particular computer and offer the complete package.

Are there any particular early TTL non-NEC brands which are thirsted after ? Some may be also TTL/analogue.

Lawrence

Last edited:
Well, I could really use an EGA monitor to test out some ATI EGA Wonder cards I have, but I'd hate to think would it would cost even in shipping from where you are to Hamilton.

Thing about Canada Post now is that you aren't paying for shipping, you're paying for protection. You pretty much have to put an equal weight in packing material to even hope to get something somewhere in one piece.

Actually I've found that shipping by bus in canada is the way to go. Cheaper, faster, and as long as your stuff is packed well, safer. Haven't tried to ship that way to the USA, if possible. An XT shipped from here to Coquitlam in BC was about 1/2 the canpost price and arrived there 3 days later as compared to packages from BC by canpost which take a week to 10 days at double the price. I've received speakers, VCRs, and even boxes of gourmet foods including bottled products from my son with nary a problem. I felt so confident about it I even sent a $1500 trumpet to a buyer in BC with no complaints. It arrived 3 days after sending. The thing is there's much less handling, actually, and transferring the item to another bus is by carts rather than being tossed on conveyer belts and crammed or tossed in large cargo holds under other weighty objects.

At one time we had one of the best postal services in the world, and then the beaurocrats got into "improving" it and initiated a repressive management regime. From that time on our postal service has sucked with constant warfare between middle management and postal workers. The de-facto privateisation of it has only made it worse and we are faced with constantly increasing rates and a workforce that doesn't give a shit because they no longer have anything to feel proud of and a middle management which has to enforce a contestorial regime and has grown used to adversary employee relations.
I imagine the government's long-term intent is to kill it off and turn it over to privare mail and parcel services just like they did with the CN-Express fiasco. Swine !!

Lawrence.

Last edited:
Back