• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Olivetti ETV 300 : Can I use the typewriter part as a serial terminal to mimic a teletype?

Anyhow, would it be possible to make an image of the bootdisk of the system? I am very interested to test that one on my ETV 300.
Yes, I have a 486 built for this purpose. Which format of disk image would you like to have ? I have Image Disk installed.

IMD file format would be wonderful, thank you!

Can you also have a look onto the other disks if there is anything else than *.mwp files, which is the document format of the cp/m based ETVs? If yes, then image as well, maybe there are long time searched tools for the ETV 300. You can use 22disk and PC-Alien to explore them, the disk format is predefined there.

Or, if that is easier, just image all of them and I explore by myself.

Disk 7 was not readable. Others seem blank. 3 look like they have data on them. From the three with data, the disk you wanted is disk 1.

Disk 1 looks good, there is the MWP wordprocessor software for ETV 300, as far as I see switchable between french and english..
Disk 2 is something different, Copyright 1983 Logical Systems, Inc. for Tandy computer
Disk 3 is empty, Disk 4-8 too.

The MWP documents on disk 1 seem to include some personal review / curiculum vitae informations in the time frame 1984 to 1998, so you should delete the attachement from your posting to protect them. I even was able to find the guy on linked in, he has a shop for motor bike clothes and protections and spareparts next to Montreal, with website. He is 5 years younger than me but he looks older than I do.

Last edited:
Disk 1 looks good, there is the MWP wordprocessor software for ETV 300, as far as I see switchable between french and english..
Disk 2 is something different, Copyright 1983 Logical Systems, Inc. for Tandy computer
Disk 3 is empty, Disk 4-8 too.

The MWP documents on disk 1 seem to include some personal review / curiculum vitae informations in the time frame 1984 to 1998, so you should delete the attachement from your posting to protect them. I even was able to find the guy on linked in, he has a shop for motor bike clothes and protections and spareparts next to Montreal, with website. He is 5 years younger than me but he looks older than I do.
The machine is back on the bench.

No floppy seek when turning on. Just the corrupted video and a blinking I-ON led. I will need guidance on what to check first.

You can see a large "D" on the left upper part of the monitor. That is good start, that displays that the system does some diagnostics, so processor starts and can access ROM correctly, this is already not too bad. But as we can see from the garbage on the screen it has some problem. Maybe first thing would be to clean up all contacts of socketed chips and the slots and contacts for the two add on cards (floppy controller, video card).

Later on I will have a check, I think I have parts of the service manual of ETV 350, that is the same except of it has 3.5 inch floppy drives.

etvdiag.jpg

Did you fixed the typewriter ?

Last edited:
You can see a large "D" on the left upper part of the monitor. That is good start, that displays that the system does some diagnostics, so processor starts and can access ROM correctly, this is already not too bad. But as we can see from the garbage on the screen it has some problem. Maybe first thing would be to clean up all contacts of socketed chips and the slots and contacts for the two add on cards (floppy controller, video card).

Later on I will have a check, I think I have parts of the service manual of ETV 350, that is the same except of it has 3.5 inch floppy drives.

View attachment 1257980

Did you fixed the typewriter ?
I did not fix the typewriter yet. I'm more inclined trying to fix the computer part first.

@1ST1 Do you think it is possible to try fixing the display problem on the computer part and then move onto fixing the typewriter part after ? Is the system able to boot (or at least have a floppy seek) without the typewriter attached ?

It will start to boot, but then stop and wait for the typewriter.
I can try to get to that point.

I worked on the typewriter today. Codes ROM 1 (intermittent) and CTC.

I desoldered the CTC chip, beeped the traces and they are good. Put in a socket.

I would need schematics at that point as visual inspection does not reveal any physical damage.

Ok, first problem on the ET111 : I need a new ROM 0. It is blank for some reason now and the typerwriter does not boot properly. When I remove the ROM, it boots and display error.
The ROM is blank when I read it with my programmer. If I look at the manual, it is a 27128. @1ST1 Do you have a .bin file of that ROM for me ?

Hello, I have to check, I have a working ET 111, but maybe that ROM is language dependant, my ET 111 is german. The problem is, the ET 111 is stored in overcrowded room, so getting access to it is quite a lot of work.

From the diagrams I provided to you, you need to identify which of the base board versions you have. And as soon I got access to mine I need to compare if I have the same. Maybe the ROMs for the board versions are different.

Hello, I have to check, I have a working ET 111, but maybe that ROM is language dependant, my ET 111 is german. The problem is, the ET 111 is stored in overcrowded room, so getting access to it is quite a lot of work.
Ok, no problem, I can wait :) Thank you !

From the diagrams I provided to you, you need to identify which of the base board versions you have. And as soon I got access to mine I need to compare if I have the same. Maybe the ROMs for the board versions are different.

From the diagrams, my base board looks like the one on page identified 6-7

Back