• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

omg omg omg, I just got an IBM 5162!

JDT

Veteran Member
Not really post worthy without pictures, I'm going to drive a few hours away to snag it this weekend, but this machine was my holy grail that I've desired for decades... hopefully I can restore it and make it functional.

That is all.

Nice! The 5162 is just such a neat machine. I like the aesthetic of the XT over the AT, and having 16 bit expansion slots and a 286 is really handy. I'm in the process of making a video about the XT/286 because it's not really covered by many people. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my 5162 to a Windows 3.1 era machine just for the fun of it. I got an IBM VGA card and an 8514 monitor, am trying to install a Kingston SX/Now! i386 upgrade, and am looking for suitable RAM upgrades and a mouse. Anyway, let me know if you run into any issues, I had to go through fixing an XT/286 and I know what can go wrong.

OK, Guys (&Gals)!

IBM 5162 Acquired! And... as they said, it fires up - but no post whatsoever.
Opening the case I Find there is not CPU, Co-Proc, or Video card... SO in my VAST CPU collection... I apparently don't have an extra i286-6mhz CPU =( ... I do have a 10MHz cpu - would this "work" as in clock down to he crystal? Or should I not bother to try? Anyone have a CPU they want to sell? =)

So I notice some considerable corrosion stains along traces and large areas on the rear of the board (pics attached), I used a toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol to clean the board up best I can, will be waiting a bit before I bother trying to get it going so as it dries right.

I also removed the 2 bios? chips with the blue stickers along with the cache? chips - cleaning both the sockets and the pins.

So what now?20181020_151502.jpg20181020_151521.jpg20181020_151524.jpg20181020_151553.jpg20181020_151603.jpg20181020_152533.jpg20181020_160718.jpg20181020_160727.jpg

Cleaned:
20181020_165414.jpg20181020_165423.jpg

Any advice offered will be appreciated greatly, I've wanted this machine for so damn long, I have to make it live.

Kind Regards,

10 MHz 80286 should have no problem working at 6 MHz. The system does not have cache. I can't read the labels on the chips.

If you have a multimeter, you should check all of the tantalum capacitors to see if they have shorted or failed. Also check any visibly corroded traces with your multimeter on continuity mode. You should also check to see if the fan moves when you turn it on or you hear any beep codes.

Some IBM 5162 information is at minuszerodegrees.net

Chip U37 is the keyboard controller. Examples at [here]. Your motherboard has the EPROM version of the chip, and its window is uncovered. I think that you should cover the window.

I also removed the 2 bios? chips with the blue stickers ...
Well, the sockets they are in are for BIOS ROMs, however, I have not seen blue-stickered ROMs in a 5162 before.
Normally, what is seen is shown at [here].

If you have a multimeter, you should check all of the tantalum capacitors to see if they have shorted or failed. Also check any visibly corroded traces with your multimeter on continuity mode. You should also check to see if the fan moves when you turn it on or you hear any beep codes.
For all we know, the OP is going to fit a CPU, and discover that everything works.

So I actually found a i286-6 in my collection, at the bottom lol. Seriously, I have hundreds of procs, 8088 to 1366/2011. Anyway I think the original PSU is shot, it would only spin the fan momentarily and then shut off. So I grabbed a test PSU and connected it to the board, it stays powered on, but I get no indication of POST. The CPU gets warm and the 8-bit VGA card gets warm (not hot).

I'm using a random 8-bit VGA card, I know it works, I took it out of my 5150... Oregon Trail is more fun in color =P, and way, is there a specific slot designated for graphics?

Could I be using the wrong keyboard? I've the the wweird 74-key keyboard from the IBM 5150, I've got another keyboard that can switch between AT & XT via a switch... All LEDS (caps lock, num lock, etc) are lit upon power on and stay on.
20181020_172005.jpg20181020_172011.jpg20181020_173937.jpg20181020_175011.jpg20181020_175021.jpg20181020_175044.jpg20181020_175050.jpg20181020_175056.jpg

I apologize for all the pics, or if I'm not "doing it right", I've not been an active member in quite some time, i am looking forward to interacting with you all.

Kind Regards,

... and way, is there a specific slot designated for graphics?
No.

Could I be using the wrong keyboard? I've the the wweird 74-key keyboard from the IBM 5150, I've got another keyboard that can switch between AT & XT via a switch... All LEDS (caps lock, num lock, etc) are lit upon power on and stay on.
The 5162 is an AT-class machine, and so you need an AT-class keyboard. Remove any keyboard for now. It is not required for the motherboard to start, and POST to display something.

Something quick that can be done is to re-seat all chips in sockets, looking at the same time to see if they are correctly orientated.

Refer to the diagram at [here]. To start, a (fully functional) motherboard requires +5V and (repeat: and) the POWER GOOD signal from the PSU. So, a good thing to confirm/eliminate early is a power related problem. The direction taken depends on the result.

You shouldn't use the 5150's keyboard. Use an AT compatible keyboard. Also, does the fan spin up completely, or just twitch once you flip the switch. If it is the latter, I had the same problem with a shorted capacitor, so you should check those.

... Anyway I think the original PSU is shot, it would only spin the fan momentarily and then shut off. So I grabbed a test PSU and connected it to the board, it stays powered on, but I get no indication of POST. The CPU gets warm and the 8-bit VGA card gets warm (not hot)...

I have a few ideas here.

1) I noticed that you have the Motherboard out of the case in your pictures. I tried the same method of test when I first acquired my 5162. It refused to come to life until I put it back in the case. My theory at the time was that the motherboard needs to be grounded by the mounting screws, but no one else that I've communicated with has duplicated this result, so there might have been something else keeping mine from coming to life when I first tested it. Also, the PSU needs an adequate load before it will start. Some have noticed that the motherboard alone is enough load but others have found that more of a load was required. Did you hear any beep(s) from the speaker when you tested with the other PSU? Was the speaker connected?

2) The keyboard in your picture won't work with the 5162. You need an AT keyboard. Did you try the other keyboard with the switch in the AT mode?

3) You may need to try a different video card. Just because that card worked in a 5150 doesn't mean it'll work in the 5162. If you have a 16 bit VGA card, try that.

Anyway, that looks like a nice example of a 5162. With a little work, you should be able to get it working.

Greg

Edit
Looks like I was to slow with my reply and a couple of others have mentioned some of the same things that I did. I don't mean to be redundant, just slow and lazy.

Regarding a possible video issue. I do not own a 5162 (or its motherboard). Assuming that the OP discovers that there is no power related issue, handy to know would be, without a video card fitted, does a functional 5162 complete the POST, outputting a beep to the speaker (and moving the heads on A: drive slightly before that) ?

Also, assuming that the OP discovers that there is no power related issue, the use of a POST card may be informative.

For all we know, the OP is going to fit a CPU, and discover that everything works.

I did fit a i286-6 as per my previous comment with pictures, I am trying to source a POST-card to see if there is any logic flowing.

I have a few ideas here.

1) I noticed that you have the Motherboard out of the case in your pictures. I tried the same method of test when I first acquired my 5162. It refused to come to life until I put it back in the case. My theory at the time was that the motherboard needs to be grounded by the mounting screws, but no one else that I've communicated with has duplicated this result, so there might have been something else keeping mine from coming to life when I first tested it. Also, the PSU needs an adequate load before it will start. Some have noticed that the motherboard alone is enough load but others have found that more of a load was required. Did you hear any beep(s) from the speaker when you tested with the other PSU? Was the speaker connected?

>>>> Speaker was connected, I heard no beep after 5 minutes.

2) The keyboard in your picture won't work with the 5162. You need an AT keyboard. Did you try the other keyboard with the switch in the AT mode?

>> Ok, so confirmation that the system requires a AT keyboard, great... I have an IBM model M (best keyboard in the world), I will use it exclusively.

3) You may need to try a different video card. Just because that card worked in a 5150 doesn't mean it'll work in the 5162. If you have a 16 bit VGA card, try that.

>> I have a few 16-bit ISA cards in my collection, I will try them all - including a ATI mach32

Anyway, that looks like a nice example of a 5162. With a little work, you should be able to get it working.

Greg

Edit
Looks like I was to slow with my reply and a couple of others have mentioned some of the same things that I did. I don't mean to be redundant, just slow and lazy.

Odd, telling me I need to write 5 more charterers...

So I've tried my entire collection of 8 & 16 bit vga cards... do I need to break out the hercules card and my IBM 5151? Thought i had a 16-bit Mach32... it was VLB

20181020_201126.jpg

Check all capacitors and reseat all chips. Clean SIMM contacts. Is a POST card the same as a diagnostic PCB?

Check all capacitors and reseat all chips. Clean SIMM contacts. Is a POST card the same as a diagnostic PCB?

I already re-sat all chips and cleaned all connections that I could, the rear of the board had significant ... corrosion? I dunno, cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol as best I could.

The POST-card is a diagnostic PCB, I guess... I had some... you think I could any of them? oiy

Back