• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

One more 80286 hard drive question

Know exactly where you are coming from. I bought a 286/16 new with an IDE 40meg hdd and realised very quickly it wasn't enough storage space ;) Running DrDos 6(and before that Compaq Dos 3.31) so there was no 32meg limit. I put a 240meg drive in it.

My point was that in the 80286 world, 4GB was unimaginably huge. I had a 330MB SCSI drive on my 80286 and I thought it was enormous.

This goes back to the "Are you after the vintage experience? If not, why bother?" argument that's been brought up from time to time.

It really comes down to the individual. Not unlike vintage motorcycle riders. Some prefer the old brakes, rock hard tyres no suspension while some prefer a bit of updating.

Last edited:
You can hook up DOS LanManager to Server 2003 very easily (it just works), not tried later.

Yeah I got given a Pentium 4 for free, so I made it a Windows 2000 server, really handy for networking machines.

I wouldn't use hard disc removal as my method of transfer but up to the user. Really handy one is parallel 100Mb Zip drives - one for the 286 one for the new machine - I got mine for $5 each with discs. You can also still get USB models if needed.

I see no problem in adding additional storage to vintage systems, provided you keep the original drives in a safe environment. Way I see it is, overall anything newer is going to be less taxing to the old power supplies anyways, and be faster transfer rate wise, so why not? Its not like your irreversibility modifying the machines, more just an upgrade... Plus sometimes its just fun to play mad hatter and experiment! >.<

BTW I have a 2gb microdrive in my XT-286, and yes it is hard to fill all it. But its nice to be able to make backups easily, and have room for experimentation. I feel as long as you have fun, and dont ruin anything, have at it. That imho is what this hobby is about.

Last edited:
Simple fact is hdds do fail, either in use or sitting in storage. Some a lot sooner than others. If you want a replacement "period correct" hdd sure go for it and get one from here if you want. It's great to have an alternative solution.

Last edited:
I don't understand the high price value for a lot of old computer tech, especially hard drives. HDDs are the one thing even the most dedicated tech head can't fix. Sealed, dust free chambers. Motor drives that move faster than the eye can see. Platters that are useless with the tiniest scratch. A thousand dollars for something that will fail irrecoverably very soon is a terrible investment.

What's especially hilarious is that I pondered getting an ST-225 for my AT because a friend had one back in the day and the sounds it makes are incredible. I was calling the recyclers selling them and asking if they parked the heads before removing the drive. If the tech even knew what I was talking about the about the answer was always "no". And the computer it came from was always stripped so they couldn't put it back in and prepare it properly. This means a lot more DOA drives are being made regularly. It's such a shame.

That's basicly why the XT-IDE project came about I'd imagine. Gives users of old kit a chance to keep them servicable.

uriahsk have you tried using overlay software as suggested? I've got a 4 gig bootfoot I swap around various machines, 486s and lower, from time to time with an overlay it on. But only as the master boot drive to test how well some software runs. Runs fine on later machines as the boot up drive too if you manually set the drive type to something rediculous like 10 megs. Personnally wouldn't go sticking it in a later machine with the overlay on it as an extra drive to transfer data though as you're asking for problems. hargle has covered all your options.

Last edited:
For that matter, why bother with floppy disks either. Just run it all in an emulator on a modern PC. :)

Others have noted that few retro computing fans use modems--I've found it fascinating that few use retro printers (daisywheel or dot matrix). Back in those days, I'dve been lost without a printer.

man, I'd LOVE to get a daisy wheel printer again, it's amazing watching those things operate.
Modems I have trouble finding practical purpose for, maybe a retro gaming local for old multiplayer?

XT-IDE - we just need to slow it down and add a speaker to make the stepper motor seek noises, 300ms seek is where it's at.
I want an ST251 for my 5170 build, but prices for a tested unit is making me stick with an old IDE (older and noiser the better).

Yes, some kind of board (not enough mem for a TSR) that could capture the HDD activity and the user's choice of classic drive sounds (selected by jumper) would be amazing. I do need a modem because I'm planning to do some work with Procomm Plus and it won't initialize and start without one, apparently.

It will work just fine with direct cable connections. Just make sure to go through setup, and delete all modem string lines...

Dunno. The same copy that starts up fine in Dosbox where a modem is being emulated just sits on the initialization screen on an actual DOS machine with no modem in it. Requires a reboot to get out of it. twolazy, don't have any direct cables. I might as well get a modem. That might lead to some other interesting side projects.

Will admit, I love to get ahold of an early acoustic coupler style modem, just to play with it!

785px-Acoustic_coupler_20041015_175456_1.jpg

Well if you want to do modem to modem, I have done that before, using a dreamcast going to pc. Its how we are able to still play phantasy star online! :D

You will possibly need a small box somewhere inbetween on the phone line between both computers. All it does is hold a 9v battery, resistor and cap, to trick the machines to thinking there is line voltage...
See this page how to make one, super super easy! :D
http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html

After skim reading this thread, I use a cheap cdrom drive connected to an old sound card. I've seen them on fleabay for under $5 bucks. Just burn whatever files you want on your vista machine to a cdr and put the disk in that old cd-drive and transfer what you want. I burn a new CD about once a year with stuff I've collected then just leave it in the 5170 if I need something on it.

framer

Hi, regarding to Floppy Emulators for floppy drive replacement, we have developed the FlexiDrive floppy emulator. It is OK to replace 3.5", 5.25" and 8" floppy drive units on any computer system, with DOS or Non-DOS file system.
Support FM and MFM Modulation, 1.44Mb, 1.2Mb, 800Kb, 720Kb, 640Kb, 360Kb, and also you can configure all the parameters to make it compatible with special or custom formats.
As media you can use SD card or USB Pendrive, and you can storage up 2500 floppies on the media. For more information please contact me or visit www.floppyemulator.com
I hope that this product will be useful for some of your cool Vintage Computers. Thanks and Best regards, Ariel/

Back