• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Open University Hektor III ROMs

jltursan

Veteran Member
I'm looking for info about my Hektor III and their tools ROMs feature. I've dumped my own ROM set (let me know if you're interested in it) and it has the System ROM (Monitor 10) and a pair of EPROMs containing some kind of "Frequency Analyser", I've no idea of how can I execute the tool; but examining the ROM contents I can clearly see enouch strings to guess its function.

Seems that there's no emulation for this machine and I haven't been able to find a single ROM repository. Mine lacks a BASIC interpreter; but seems pretty hard to find. The manual talks about a generic 4KB 8085 BASIC; but it must have some specific code for this machine.

Also, about the docs, there's a PT502 (Hektor II) manual freely downloadable. Pretty good reading and with a lot of excellent info; but the II model is very different, the III has a completely new 64KB memory map and better graphic capabilities. Has anyone info about how it works?

I'm looking for info about my Hektor III and their tools ROMs feature. I've dumped my own ROM set (let me know if you're interested in it) and it has the System ROM (Monitor 10) and a pair of EPROMs containing some kind of "Frequency Analyser", I've no idea of how can I execute the tool; but examining the ROM contents I can clearly see enouch strings to guess its function.

Seems that there's no emulation for this machine and I haven't been able to find a single ROM repository. Mine lacks a BASIC interpreter; but seems pretty hard to find. The manual talks about a generic 4KB 8085 BASIC; but it must have some specific code for this machine.
I'm interested in your ROM dumps, as I intend to emulate the Hektor machines in MAME. Photos of your machine would be useful too, especially of the board in order to identify all components.

I'll also be looking to dump the ROMs from the Hektors at CfCH during my next visit.

Great news!. Seems a hard task, there's close to nothing about the machine in the web and it's a shame, looks like a pretty neat machine.

I'll get some pics of it, stay tuned

It's a long shot considering the timescales but does anyone have any information, rom images, etc, for the HEKTOR PT502 and its peripheral board?
I have just acquired one, faulty, and the previous person suggested that it had 'many' faults!, so just trying to cover all bases?

You must know there's a PT502 user manual downloadable here: Open University Hektor II

Mine is the Hektor III and it came with no papers at all so I can't help adding more info. The peripheral board is also present; but it's not the same that accompanies the previous model.
My romset must be now included in the MAME suite; but I'm not sure if it'll be of some use being from a slighty different model, with a bit of luck they'll only differ in the extra firmware that the III model added.

Yeah, got that and watched the video, these must be extremely rare as there is next to no information on the entire interweb. I wouldn't care I actually did this course back in 1984 but at that time we had to return the unit!

OK, some progress, after getting past the broken pins, dry joints, and bad IC sockets I have it narrowed down to 2 of the roms, the HEK1A SKT1 (2732) is blank, and the 2716 in IC5 has patches of &FF in 0100-01FF & 0400-04FF, I am not sure this is right though it could be by design. I really need a dump of each of the ROMS HEK1A SKT0, HEK1A SKT1 and IC5 if anyone has them.

Well, seems that the Hektor II romset has been already preserved in MAME:

hek2_skt0.rom40962cc5cf07ce40a594be17532e636a7cbcc75c7d18377f3dcamaincpu0goodno
hek2_skt1.rom4096b2388185d084df17aa5e333831fa94e02699673b088ee5camaincpu1000goodno
hek2_skt2.rom4096805c62a4f698d78274133124ee9f5420a5b5142b84a22922maincpu2000goodno
hek2.ic520481e9ec285f1cbbff8460d69b231e41e0779f2c3572982051aef93640goodno

It has been tagged as a good one, so you just only need to burn them.

Thank you, I pulled down the roms from mame, so at least that eliminates the blank rom issue, can now move on the the next issue :)

Back