• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Optiplex GX280 Help

I can do capacitor replacement if you need someone to do it for you.

I might take you up on that some day, but it would be for a much better system than a GX260 or 280. The cost of shipping it from MI to TX alone would be outrageous. :)

I might take you up on that some day, but it would be for a much better system than a GX260 or 280. The cost of shipping it from MI to TX alone would be outrageous. :)

Send the motherboard, just the entire system unit. A motherboard will fit nicely and safely in a flat rate box.

Yeah, no need to send the entire system. Just the motherboard and PSU if you want me to look at that as well. The PSUs are also notorious for failing for the same reason.

I guess that makes sense. :)

I'll see how this new GX260 does. First thing I need to do with it is get more memory. It only has two slots so I want top find 1GB sticks.

Place I used to work at had GX240 low profile desktops and GX280 towers with dual head video cards for the engineers. I recall power supplies going bad, however the capacitor poppers were the GX620 SFF machines

Place I used to work at had GX240 low profile desktops and GX280 towers with dual head video cards for the engineers. I recall power supplies going bad, however the capacitor poppers were the GX620 SFF machines

All SFF Dell machines from that time frame suffered from capacitor issues because of how poorly the cases are ventilated. Those cases had no air intake, except for the exhaust port at the back of the computer. The PSUs would inhale hot CPU exhaust and severely overheat, sometimes leading to them going on fire. It was even worse on high specced machines with dedicated low profile video cards and high power draw Pentium 4 CPUs, those things would make the inside of the case a blazing inferno.

I came up with a bunch of fixes for those SFF machines to get them to run a lot cooler. The first fix was to open the PSU and reverse the fan so it sucked cool air from the back of the case, rather than inside the hotbox case. This drastically increased reliability, because these PSUs often shut off on thermal limits. The next was to install a Cedar Mill 6x1 Pentium 4 with the D0 core stepping, which had a lower 65W TDP, instead of the 95-115W of previous Prescott variants. The final fix was to install a duct on the CPU blower so that all of the hot exhaust exited the back of the case, because normally some of the exhaust would hit the case metal and recirculate back inside. This made the machines pretty reliable after recapping and I never saw a machine with these fixes fail again.

Back