• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Original Apple 2 II Mini Manual Green Three Hole Punch Mimieographed 1 of a 1000?

guido1972

"The first 1000 or so Apple II s shipped with a 60 page mimeographed "Apple II Mini Manual" bound with brass paper fasteners. This was the basis for the Apple II Reference Manual (a/k/a Red book) which was published in January 1978. All existing customers who sent in their warranty cards were sent free copies of the Red Book." See Wikipedia Apple II section Industry Impact http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_series

Early APPLE II Mini Manual Green not the earlier red one : Contents include 1) Getting started with your Apple II board 2) Software 3) Hardware 4) Demo Tape Program Listing. Basically all the info needed to get your kit up and going. Then some simple BASIC programs such as pong with bricks etc. Obviously this is early and therefore; quite rare. It offers a first person glimpse into the embryonic stage of what would one day be the largest Company in America.

The origin of the Green Mini Manual is referenced here in: Apple II History: The Story of the "Most Personal Computer"

"Documentation for the Apple II was initially very limited. Steve Wozniak had some handwritten notes from the summer and fall of 1977 that were assembled into a document that later became known as the “Woz Wonderbook”. It was used internally as a reference by Apple employees. To provide some sort of documentation for customers, Apple’s president, Mike Scott, had gone through desk drawers at night to find anything that looked like technical information about the computer, whether typed or handwritten. [[]B]These [/B]notes, about thirty pages in all (some of which were included in the Woz Wonderbook) were photocopied, three-hole punched, and assembled in clear binders. This mini-manual was dropped in the box with each of the earliest Apple II computers that were sold. [/B]The cover was a reproduction of one of Apple’s earliest advertisements for the Apple II. It stated, “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication: introducing Apple ][, the personal computer.”

In early 1978 these original photocopied manuals were replaced with the new Apple II Reference Manual (also known as the “Red Book”), and copies were mailed to previous customers. However, the material was essentially the same as the mini-manual, just with a red cover. Steve Jobs realized that people often viewed the quality of a product by the quality of its documentation, and so he wanted Apple to have manuals that were easy to read and had a professional appearance.[14] Employees Jef Raskin and Brian Howard wrote the first Integer BASIC manual, and Raskin agreed that a proper reference manual was needed for the Apple II. He assigned Chris Espinosa the task of converting the material in the Red Book into a full fledged manual. During his fall semester at Berkley in 1978, Espinosa wrote the manual, and then used a typesetting program on the Berkley UNIX system to create that first manual.[15]" See Apple II History: The Story of the "Most Personal Computer"

Additionally, we have a co-founder seeming obsessed with aesthetics i.e. look and feel of the object. BUT, we have a loose bound stack of sheets, yellow for contents and white for all else. Then the Mini Manual is obviously TYPEWRITTEN, does not look as though any printer was used. Finally, Steve Jobs again known for being environmentally aware, yet they do not even utilize the back side of the sheets making up the manual. And yet, this same Company has become what it has . . . COLLECTORS of Vintage Apple, this is a must have; Collectors of the Home Computing Industry - must have; HISTORIANS - a first person glimpse into the beginnings of not only an important Company but also; arguably, the infancy of the Greatest Tool man has created to date.

Based on appearance, rather sloppy etc, there were obviously not a large workforce behind Apple at its creation. Heck conceivable that Jobs or Wozniak themselves copied and compiled these early manuals. HERE IT IS A CHANCE OF A LIFETIME TO OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY.

The SPOTS on the plastic front cover appear to be wax. They are not on / NOR do they affect the paper in any manner. I have not attempted to clean it off as I want it shown as it was after coming back into the light.
For more info on this see http://apple2history.org/history/ah04/

Any offers will be reviewed. Will post pics when or if figure out. Mike

Attachments

• apple2.jpg
    apple2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1
  • apple00.jpg
    apple00.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1
  • apple3.jpg
    apple3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
  • apple2.jpg
    apple2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
  • applesoft.jpg
    applesoft.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1
I am going a little crazy on this fact. Maybe you can help clear things up for me.

Did Chris Espinosa write the RED BOOK? How many pages ? Did the cover change as he did not finish until 1979
Is there a mini RED BOOK? How many pages?

The Apple II Manual

I got involved with Apple, I started working with Steve and Steve in 1976, and when the company formed in 1977 I was one of the first employees. I worked there after school through high school. I wrote some of the early technical documentation for some products-- ApplePlot, the graphics tablet. I wrote some software, but not much.

I was working for Jef Raskin, who with Brian Howard wrote the original Integer BASIC manual, when I went off to Berkeley in 1978. When I left, Jef gave me a task. He wanted to keep me on staff, but knew that I wasn't going to be able to work the hours that I had been previously. So he gave me a long-term task: he gave me what Mike Scott had assembled as the mini-manual for the Apple II, which was basically the product of a series of nightly forays into people's desk drawers for anything typed-- or handwritten, in a few cases-- that smacked of technical material, that he periodically sent with Sherry Livingston down to the Quick Print place to print, collate and assemble, and put into binder covers with clear plastic and wraparound spine and three-hole punch

That was what was dropped in with every Apple II. That was the mini-manual. That was Apple's documentation. None of it was written consciously for an audience, and Jef said, "We need a technical manual for the Apple II." Actually, there was the mini-manual, and there was the "red book," which was essentially the same material in a red binding. Jef gave me a copy of the red book and said, "I want you to write a real manual out of this."

So I went to Berkeley with this charge, and worked 20-30 hours a week in my freshman year in college, and I came back at the end of the term with a 220 pages of camera-ready output from the Berkeley UNIX system. I had taught myself TROC [Chris: Not sure if this right], I had taught myself typesetting, I had written a 200+ page manual, and that was Apple's first published technical manual for the Apple II. I still don't know how I did it, and I managed to pass my classes, too. [Pang laughs] That year.

Do you have any idea of which Apple II manual Chris Espinosa wrote? I have started coming to the conclusion that it was not the RED BOOK, but maybe this one.

Attachments

• Apple II Reference Manual.jpg
    Apple II Reference Manual.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1
I think this has solved the problem that I have been having. All the history sites, tell how Chris re-wrote the RED BOOK making it seem like he actually wrote the RED BOOK.
Although according to the time line, his book would have come out in 1979 as this manual did. Even in Chris's interviews, it seems like he may have written a new version of the RED BOOK.
That is why this question was been so confusing.

Thank you

Back