• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Osborne 1 + Gotek Floppy Emulator SUCCESS!

redruM69

Experienced Member
For the past couple of months I have been fighting my Osborne trying to get it to boot from real floppies.

Lots of troubleshooting and spare parts later, I found that all 4 of my floppy drives are bad! Yesterday I successfully adapted the non-standard shugart interface to a Gotek Floppy emulator w/ HxC firmware installed. It boots up great now! I figured I'd share the cable adaption for others that want to attempt this. The Osborne floppy cable carries 12v and 5v power supply lines which need to be cut. Drive select pins are also a bit different, and there are some other un-needed pins. With some modifications to a standard floppy cable, it will work. I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to use the Gotek drive on the end of a double cable, with an original drive on the other connector. This diagram has the drive select set as "A", but you can swap around those pins and make it drive "B".

L3e9mgk.png

Thanks for sharing. This info will come as big help for my Osborne1 where B drive is acting up now and then. If it is not too much to ask, can you also give me more info on the Gotek. I am more well versed on the Gotek for Amigas. Is this something I can buy from Lotharek or can I just order the firmware. Any info on the firmware version? Thanks

You might consider using some of the low-profile USB flash drives--I'd hate to see what the result would be if you closed the case without removing the USB stick!
:)

I'm trying to do something like this for a Kaypro 2X. I have the Gotek drive and flashed it to where I have the 3 digit display saying "hXc" but I'm a little lost now. I know it needs the shugart emulator and something else on the USB drive but I am having a senior moment(s) and can't seem to find the correct files.

Thanks for the post:D. I have been wrestling with my Osborne (I bought in 1982) for the past 3 years, but without success. Where did you get the boot program for the USB Drive to boot up the Computer? I am kind of a Newbie in figuring that out. I think I got the wiring OK, and am going to give this a try. Thanks again. Kent.

I'm starting work on repairing an Osborne Executive. It's got one bad floppy drive. I tried a different (non-Osborne Executive) drive and it wouldn't work. Now that I see this thread I'm starting to wonder if the Executive is the same way. Does anyone know?

Hello everyone,

Based on the helpful info in this post I made a dedicated adapter for anyone looking to add a GoTek floppy emulator to an Osborne 1. This adapter avoids the need to cannibalize the Osborne's floppy cable and makes it possible to easily swap a GoTek emulator for a mechanical floppy drive.

This adapter accounts for the non-standard Osborne floppy interface and will only work on an Osborne 1!

Everything you need can be found here: https://github.com/WayneVisser/Osborne1FloppyAdapter.

Or you can just order the board directly from OSHPark: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/k4YXJYxn

Enjoy!

Last edited:
This is freaking amazing, thank you! I just got two Osborne 1's and I'm a bit at a loss of how to get software onto the machine. All I have is a CP/M floppy and supercalc floppy that came with the machine. At least I can boot. :) I saw the diagrams of floppy cables with wires cut out and swapping wires and didn't love the look of that. This solution looks amazing!

Osborne 1 drives are single-sided so no need for the side select.

One person contacted me about these adapter boards - OSHPark may or may not cut the edge connector slot. So be prepared to Dremmel a slot if they don't!

One person contacted me about these adapter boards - OSHPark may or may not cut the edge connector slot. So be prepared to Dremmel a slot if they don't!

That was probably me (I opened an issue on the github.) My Osborne 1A floppy connector (on drive B) wasn’t keyed so turns out I was able to insert the board without Dremeling. The first two boards I dremeled but it wasn’t pretty. Adjustable speed Dremel definitely helps, running it at a slower speed. Thanks again for the cool board.

I take it, with the Gerber available I can get some made as long as I leave the creator silk unchanged ?

OSHPark want a lot more than JLC can do them for (In tin they do 5 for £3 !)

Old thread, but does anyone have one of these for sale? I don't need 5...or even 3 :) Rather buy direct than over the top fleabay prices. Thanks.

Don't forget you can down load my STLs for a floppy fascia mount for the Gotek to print a similar styled floppy face that has a working latch and supports installation of a screen for the Gotek as well. I linked to them in the other thread.

Don't forget you can down load my STLs for a floppy fascia mount for the Gotek to print a similar styled floppy face that has a working latch and supports installation of a screen for the Gotek as well. I linked to them in the other thread.
Thanks but I don't have a 3d printer. I did order a $5 bit that looks like it should fit that should do the job. If not then maybe I'll try and find someone who can print one for me. Thanks.

If there is a makerspace local to you they might help you out. Most of them have 3D printers, and are happy to help people learn new things. Be warned; lots of things at a makerspace are interesting and could end up taking away parts of your free time.

Back