• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

osborne disks

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
well, now that i got my "new" XT clone complete with 360 KB floppy drives i tried using them to make some osborne 1 system disks. unfortunately, the disks i make do not work in the osborne. :(

i am using the TeleDisk program in DOS to write them, from some disk images i found online. not sure what i'm doing wrong, or if i need special disks or what... anybody know what the problem could be? help would be much appreciated! i've never been able to boot from any disks on the osborne in all the 6 years i've had the thing! i'd love to get it running.

EDIT: i know the osborne drives are not 360 KB but i was (mistakenly??) under the impression that a 360 KB drive could still write disks that will work in them as long as i write them as single-sided using the single-sided disk image i downloaded.

The original O1 had Single-Density drives. Be sure that your images match. If your drives are SD, you must use SD images, but DD drives should boot either flavor disks. Also, some PC FDD controlers won't write FM (SD) disks.

--T

The original O1 had Single-Density drives. Be sure that your images match. If your drives are SD, you must use SD images, but DD drives should boot either flavor disks. Also, some PC FDD controlers won't write FM (SD) disks.

--T

i have the original model osborne 1, and i made sure i used the single-sided disk image accordingly. arrgh i hope it's not the controller that's my problem. :(

i still have that controller that you sent me too, do you know if it writes SD?

Back