• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Out of Memory error

luis_orihuela

Hello !!!

My name is Luis, and this is my first post in the commodore forum.

I have some vintage computers and all of them needed some work to run, I just got a Commodore 64 and seems that it won't be the exception.

I tried to test it and got a Out of Memory in 0 error.

I have been looking for solutions and diagnostic test on the internet and have even tried the "piggy back" test with out luck.

Is there a way to find the ram chip with the problem?, none of them is specially hot.

I will appreciate your help.

Regards

Luis

No, I haven't.

I bought the computer a couple of days ago, I have not have the chance to look for a replacement PLA in Mexico yet.

I read that PLA is a Commodore PROM, I think I won't get one in Mexico.

I am not sure if the computer is worth investing in it some more money or not. I paid like 60 USD for it, and it came with a hughe 5.25" floppy drive unit.

I have seen Vic 20's working for 65.00 usd.

An ebay PLA wil cost like 35 usd.

20150324_123740[1].jpg

c64_tips.jpg

Points towards a bad RAM initially as first thought, piggybacking doesn't always show a bad RAM chip.
Personally I would remove all of the old RAM chips and socket them for the replacement 4164's as they are cheap and plentiful.

Candidly, C64s are so inexpensive even nowadays that you should find another, and junk this one for the custom ICs. You're going to spend more time and effort debugging it than it's worth, and that's coming from someone with a Commodore 128 on his desk.

Back