• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

outbound networking SGI Octane running IRIX 6.5

billdeg

Technician
Hi - I am having issues (running as root) with outbound TCP/IP of my SGI Octane running IRIS 6.5.

UDPATE (revised issue)

I am having issues getting the system to locate hosts outside of the immediate subnet. I have tried both the COMCAST and open DNS. Is there a trick to getting an IRIS 6.5 machine to use / access external DNS?

My /etc/resolv.conf is (at the moment):

lloyd.hsd1.pa.comcast.net
nameserver 75.75.75.75

I can ping 8.8.8.8 from the SGI, but I can not ping google.com (8.8.8.8) or any location by domain name.

I have found specific directions here
http://www.sgistuff.net/software/tipstricks/guide_net65.html
thanks

Last edited:
Hi - I am having issues (running as root) with outbound TCP/IP of my SGI Octane running IRIS 6.5.
I am having issues getting the system to locate hosts outside of the immediate subnet.

I never had issues with my Irix systems where I used to work.

My /etc/resolv.conf is (at the moment):

lloyd.hsd1.pa.comcast.net
nameserver 75.75.75.75

Your resolv.conf may be ill-formed or the first line copied into the post was truncated at the start of the line. What was the intent of the first line?

I located and installed the patch issued by SGI (a 3-CD disk set) to bring a 6.5 system up to 6.5.12. Immediately fixed the problem. So, if you want to run IRIX 6.5 and connect to the internet, best path is to locate not only the install disks from 1998 but also the update they called "Overlays". Install the base 6.5 and then install the update separately.

I forget what I resolve.conf I settled on, but I fixed it before I installed the overlays.

I *think* I have the ISO images on an FTP server I can turn on for others to use to download the files, but I believe the overlay is out there for download freely. Then when all that is done, install the applications. What's nice about the networking is that one can then download software directly to the machine via FTP or whatever. I am looking for Premier 4.2 to run on the SGI to see what kind of movie editing I can do. Anyone has a copy of Premier running now?

Get your hands on the 6.5.22m overlay set. Sgi had them freely available for over a decade and nekochan used to host them once HPe took over what was left and shut support folio. .22m is the minimum version expected by most freeware for irix.

Premiere for irix was flexlm licensed if I recall. Unless you have a machine with a node locked license you are SOL.

thanks, I did not know. What I have had is from the times, I did not check to see if there was anything newer than 6.5.12, it was just what I had on hand. :)

Get your hands on the 6.5.22m overlay set. Sgi had them freely available for over a decade and nekochan used to host them once HPe took over what was left and shut support folio. .22m is the minimum version expected by most freeware for irix.

Premiere for irix was flexlm licensed if I recall. Unless you have a machine with a node locked license you are SOL.

So, what would be best then realistically to edit video? Get a way to unlock a license or use something else? If something else, what do you use?
b

All of the video ending and effects software I am aware of that runs in irix is either nodelocked or used security dongles. I personally have never been able to mess with video due to these major limitations that makes all the installation media available online unusable as the dongles are impossible to find or the vendors have long since stopped generating new licenses.

Epilogue - Is it my system or do all of these have crappy on/off buttons? I am unsure whether it's supposed to stay pressed in or pop out each time. Plastic kind of imprecise.

that was the last one I had to work through in my inventory. I also have an O2, Indy, and an Indigo 2 10000. I don't have a drive sled so I made one with two 3.5 diskettes and a rubberband, until I find a proper one. BTW - I have a number of spare Indigo sleds if anyone wants to trade for an Octane sled or two. Not a super priority but if anyone in the future reads this post, contact me.

You might need to clean the button. Indeed the plastics are pretty tight so a bit of dirt or plastic dust and they start to jam up. I've had an amazing amount of problems with the 1600SW's where it may take several button presses for it to turn off and STAY off.

Back