• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packard Bell 60Mhz with overdrive?

Victor83

Hi! I recently got a packard bell legend multimedia (A940-4X4 ES20R) that comes with this motherboard (520r M/Board) with a Pentium 60Mhz (Socket 4).
As you can see in the attached picture, aparently it has an Ovedrive unit, and I can see a 133 marking on the right side of the cpu.

But for sure it's only working at 60Mhz, changing a jumper I managed to switch to 66Mhz but that's it.
Do I have an Overdrive? Is it disabled? I'm a doing something wrong and that's why is not working at 120 or 133Mhz?

I'm lost at this point, I would apreciate any help in this topic.

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• IMG_8622.jpeg
    IMG_8622.jpeg
    864.4 KB · Views: 11
Where are you reading the CPU speed from? If you're reading it from the BIOS POST/information screen, that's not always accurate. You need to use a program like Speedsys, which will tell you the actual speed of the CPU.

These CPU upgrades were often designed long after the original motherboard they were going into, and as such, the motherboard usually had no idea what they were. Socket 4 officially never had multipliers and only two CPU speeds (60 and 66 MHz), so unless Intel or the motherboard vendor provided a BIOS patch to recognize the overdrive CPU, it's never going to display the speed properly.

Phil's Computer Lab has a zip file of many old DOS benchmark programs, Speedsys being in there.

Where are you reading the CPU speed from? If you're reading it from the BIOS POST/information screen, that's not always accurate. You need to use a program like Speedsys, which will tell you the actual speed of the CPU.

These CPU upgrades were often designed long after the original motherboard they were going into, and as such, the motherboard usually had no idea what they were. Socket 4 officially never had multipliers and only two CPU speeds (60 and 66 MHz), so unless Intel or the motherboard vendor provided a BIOS patch to recognize the overdrive CPU, it's never going to display the speed properly.

Phil's Computer Lab has a zip file of many old DOS benchmark programs, Speedsys being in there.
Thank you GiGaBiTe for your answer! I'll try that : ) it makes sense.

Seeing all that dust...

Make sure the fan works, as these Overdrive CPUs fall back to 1x multiplier if the fan is not detected or not running at full speed.

Hi! Thank you all for the answers, the mystery is solved!
As GiGaBiTe mentioned, the bios is not detecting the real speed of the cpu, after doing some benchmarks Speedsys is reporting a speed of 133Mhz : D

Timo W. I know! 😅 The next thing to do is to properly clean that motherboard and the PC.

I'm attaching a picture from Speedsys.
cpu.jpg

Back