• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pairing a model ASR 33 Teletype with an Altair or IMSAI

billdeg

Technician
Does anyone here have a dedicated pairing of their Altair or IMSAI with a Teletype as described in the 1975/6 manuals?

I realize most people have some sort of emulated storage or CP/M disk set up. The issue for me is the lack of non-volitile RAM (no core). As a result one has to load long tapes every time the system is used unless their booting from (BASIC) ROM and then using the Teletype for programming storage only. Just curious what people are doing in 2023.

Yep, I have a Rev.0 Altair that is configured with 16k RAM and an 88-SIO (20ma CL) for the connection to the Teletype. No disk storage and only the MITS MBL in ROM. Admittedly, the system doesn't get a whole lot of use but I have taken it to a few shows / events.

I have thought about adding a ROM board, containing BASIC to make it easier to get running but I haven't got round to that yet.

Cheers,
Dave

I have the same issue with a Intellec 8. I am considering building a device that has a microcontroller in it that can emulate a paper tape reader. A switch would then select between the real ASR33 or the emulated reader. Another rotary switch would allow to select one out of 12 pre-loaded programs. The Intellec had modifications to switch between 110 and 2400 bps which means that I will be able to load programs 20 times faster which is nice when doing demonstrations.

It's in my current batch of three projects to get a Teletype working as program storage for an IMSAI running with a VDM-1 and Processor Tech. GPM board (with CUTER ROM).

I have used a Model 33 Teletype as the sole operator console and mass storage device for several of my early computers (e.g., Altair 8800, Altair 680, SWTPC 6800). I have made several videos of each of these computers being used in this manner. However, I must admit I don’t leave them that way when I actually need to use an old computer to get something done for someone. I’ll use a high speed reader/punch if I have to help with a paper tape, or use a terminal emulator at 9600 baud which looks just like a Teletype with paper tape to the computer.

Mike

The only system I have up and running with a Teletype at the moment is a PDP 11/05 with BASIC in core and a M9312 with ROM monitor. It's relatively easy to start BASIC with this set up.

Back