• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Parallel port data transfer

... as long as they look past the incomplete, misleading and downright incorrect posts... ;-)

Since AFAIK XP does not run anything in autoexec.bat I'm going to assume that contrary to the original post the OP is finally actually running a version of DOS (including 7 & 8 ), which is what has been suggested all along...
He could run a simple one line batch file in the XP users statup folder I'd imagine. Of course you got all that XP overhead to load first.

He could run a simple one line batch file in the XP users statup folder I'd imagine. Of course you got all that XP overhead to load first.
That was also suggested (twice!).

No need for a batch file; just drag a shortcut into the appropriate startup folder and add whatever parameters you like. And it will actually load and start before "all that XP overhead"

Lots of different ways of connecting two computers; we need a comprehensive wiki entry (no, I'm not gonna write it!).

No, that's not possible, I tried that. Program will run, but Windows XP will not allow 386 to access trough parallel port. You need to boot in DOS.
That was also suggested (twice!).

No need for a batch file; just drag a shortcut into the appropriate startup folder and add whatever parameters you like. And it will actually load and start before "all that XP overhead"

Lots of different ways of connecting two computers; we need a comprehensive wiki entry (no, I'm not gonna write it!).

No, that's not possible, I tried that. Program will run, but Windows XP will not allow 386 to access trough parallel port. You need to boot in DOS.

I thought I said that way back at post #19. In general, port access by 16-bit programs is blocked by NT+. However, as I mentioned, this might be worth a shot. It's certainly useful when running things such as parallel-port device programmers.

I thought I said that way back at post #19. In general, port access by 16-bit programs is blocked by NT+. However, as I mentioned, this might be worth a shot. It's certainly useful when running things such as parallel-port device programmers.
I said the same thing in post #17 and again later but several people (including the OP, I thought) seemed to be insisting that ZIP worked in XP, so maybe they knew something I didn't. As I said, a thread full of misleading, confusing and wrong information and, considering how often it comes up, definitely needing a wiki entry.

Well, as Mike said, you could have phrased your question more clearly.

I take it that when you "made connection on parallel ports from my 386 pc to XP machine and i tested data transfer by program ZIP221" you were actually running DOS and not XP after all.

And that your question really was, "how can I automatically start ZIP221 in server mode when booting DOS?"

Sigh... Chuck had the right idea
I gave up after it was clear that nobody understood what the OP was trying to do.
Lesson learned...

Back