• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Parallel port for modern laptops?

jh1523

Experienced Member
Recent laptops only come with USB ports for expansion. I am looking for a way to add a real parallel port to such a laptop. For serial ports it's easy, there are numerous choices for USB-to-real-serial-complete-with-control-signals adapters. I have many of those. But I have been unable to find something similar for parallel ports. All I can find is "virtual pronter cables" which add a virtual printer port that you can use to print to a parallel interface printer, but not much else. I am looking for something that would add the complete functionality of a parallel port; something that I could use, for instance, with a Willem EPROM programmer.

Does anyone know if such a device exists?

Does your laptop have an Expresscard slot?

A while back I bought a SYBA SD-EXP50021 Expresscard adapter which is based on the MosChip MCS9901 PCIe to Dual Serial and Single Parallel Controller:

http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=859

I forget why I bought it now, probably it was to use with an Altera ByteBlaster II and I think I was able to get it to work after spending some time getting things configured. I haven't used it in a while.

No expresscard. Those were used in many laptops about 6-7 years ago, but these days they have mostly disappeared like the PCMCIA slots have. Most laptops sold these days have only one upgrade option: USB slots. Some have an internal mini-PCIE if you're lucky (mine doesn't).

Since you're here (VCF) you must have a machine with a parallel port, somewhere. :) And you're not likely to be carrying around that EPROM programmer with you so I would think something else would do quite nicely.

You could get a ThinkPad W series, looks like those still have an Expresscard slot. :)

I solved the issue with my device programmer by moving from a parallel port interface BPM Microsystems BP-1400 to a USB port interface BP-1410 when I found one that wasn't too expensive.

I don't know if you'll have any luck with generic USB parallel port adapters with parallel port interface device programmers.

Since you're here (VCF) you must have a machine with a parallel port, somewhere. :) And you're not likely to be carrying around that EPROM programmer with you so I would think something else would do quite nicely.

Of course I do. But I also spend many lonely hours at work, just me and my laptop, and I thought I could put those to good use. I won't be carrying my desktop there (and the desktops I have at work are locked down as far as installing/running software goes)
but the Willem programmer fits in a pocket. :)

In that case I think you are goosed for a Willem. I have order a GENIS G540 USB.....

How does that one deal with devices that require Vpp of 12V and above, and Vcc of 6V?

I solved the issue with my device programmer by moving from a parallel port interface BPM Microsystems BP-1400 to a USB port interface BP-1410 when I found one that wasn't too expensive.

Can't find any of those for sale anywhere. All I could find is some socket adapters for it, and those are expensive! $250 for an adapter.

Last edited:
might be cheaper and less hassle to pick up an old laptop, I keep an old dell Latitude XPI CD around just for running my parallel port programmers, It runs them no problems and the laptop cost me peanuts a few years ago.

might be cheaper and less hassle to pick up an old laptop, I keep an old dell Latitude XPI CD around just for running my parallel port programmers, It runs them no problems and the laptop cost me peanuts a few years ago.

I might have to do that. But I'm not giving up yet on the USB idea yet. If I could source somewhere a USB/parallel converter chip, I wouldn't mind building it myself (similar to FTDU USB/serial converters)

Hey, that gave me an idea. I checked FTDI's site, and they do make a USB to parallel chip. Time to investigate. http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT122.html

Also, there was an interesting USB-to-parallel converter in the projects section of the V-USB page. You might also try a AT90USBxxx chip, which even the 162 has enough smarts to function as a converter. The problem of course, will be the drivers on the host side...

Can't find any of those for sale anywhere. All I could find is some socket adapters for it, and those are expensive! $250 for an adapter.

This BP-1410 was under $400 last fall. I haven't noticed another one go by since then, and don't recall seeing any sell before that one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121155103834

All of the parallel port interface BPM Microsystems device programmers are no longer supported by current versions of their software.

How does that one deal with devices that require Vpp of 12V and above, and Vcc of 6V?.

Sadly it doesn't, but there are now 5v programmable equivalents to these that can be used in most circuits. I do have a couple of very old serial attached programmers that will deal with such devices. I keep thinking about making a PIC based, PI based or Arduino based programmer, but have not got round to it...

Hm. I found on ebay a Chinese programmer, TL866A. It's USB, and has internal DC/DC converters so it generates its own Vcc and Vpp. I read some reviews and they were positive, so I ordered one. We'll see. Worst case scenario I'll be out $60 :)

I think you made a wise choice. Your first option would be more complex, because laptop USB ports typically have quite low current rating compared to parallel port standards, so would be unlikely to provide enough current for a Willem-type write pulse unless you are using an external 12v power supply for the programmer. The better EPROM programmers designed for USB include capacitors big enough to support the higher-voltage write pulse. Some cheaper USB ones also fail to provide enough write current for older EPROMs that can need >20vdc write pulse.

If you really want to drive a parallel device for some standalone purpose, you could also consider the modular Raspberry Pi which has a GPIO parallel port and Linux OS.

Rick

Take a peek at the innards of one of those Chinese programmers (e.g. TOP-xxx) and you'll often find traces for a DC supply "wall wart" socket and a few blank component pads. You can get the very same version of these with the external power supply with the missing components populated at a significant premium. Just saying...

Another option I found would be an internal mini-PCiexpress to serial/parallel adapter. There are 2 or 3 brands around, example: http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapt...rallel-and-Serial-Card-16950-UART~PEX1S1PMINI and http://www.speeddragon.com/index.php?controller=Default&action=ProductInfo&Id=371
Downsides: expensive, and most laptops which have mini-PCIE slots have just one and it's populated with a wireless card. So you'd have to disable wifi/BT and remove the card, then install this adapter.

Back