• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Parallel printer cable for PDP-11

Mal

Experienced Member
I have a couple of cables with identical wiring that appear to be for a parallel printer.

They have a 40-pin Berg connector on one end and a Centronics-style d-shell connector on the other end.

The Centronics end is wired for the usual signals (D0-D7, STB, Busy, Fault).

The wiring at the Berg end does not match the LS11/LP11 interface boards (M7930 or M7258 ) according to the schematics in the LP11 Engineering Drawings.

Any suggestions as to which PDP-11 (or perhaps PDP-8 ) interface board this cable might be intended for?

Malcolm
printer-cable.jpg

m_thompson

Veteran Member
The PDP-8 LS-8E Centronics printer interface uses a cable like that.
I have the printer interface board, but do not have the cable.

Mal

Experienced Member
Thanks for pointing me to the LS8-E. It turns out that the LS8-E (M8342) and LS11/LP11/LA11 (M7258) are wired the same, so far as D1-D7, STB and ACK are concerned. So this cable doesn't suit the LS8-E either.

The LS8-E Engineering Drawings do show the cable wiring needed to make up a parallel printer cable. It appears the DEC P/N for the Centronics cable for the LS8-E is 7008859.

Interestingly the LS8-E is a 7-bit bidirectional interface, whereas the M7258 is 8-bit unidirectional.

Mal

Experienced Member
It turns out that this cable seems to have been wired to suit the DRV11, or a compatible such as the MDB MLSI-DRV-11C.

Perhaps the DRV11 was able to be configured to be software compatible with the LS11/LP11/LA11. I haven't yet had time to check that out.

bqt

Veteran Member
It turns out that this cable seems to have been wired to suit the DRV11, or a compatible such as the MDB MLSI-DRV-11C.

Perhaps the DRV11 was able to be configured to be software compatible with the LS11/LP11/LA11. I haven't yet had time to check that out.

No, the DRV11 wouldn't be software compatible, as far as I know. But that would not prevent anyone from using it to communicate with a printer, with a different driver. Makes sense. If you have a DRV11, and want to hook up a printer, why not use the DRV11 instead of going out and by a LS11.