• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC Hardware Development 1987-1998

brassicGamer

Experienced Member
Hi folks, relatively new to this forum but I'm a big enthusiast. Have posted about this project elsewhere and wanted to widen the net to see if I could get any help with enhancements / ideas / assistance / source material.

It started when I found a Socket 7 board in my collection with a USB header and I thought "Hmm... what was the first ever USB-enabled board to market?". Is it possible to answer such a question? I tried my best and, in my opinion, based on sources, it was AMI's Merlin board from 1996. This then set me off on a path of mapping the development of PC hardware during the 90s (and a bit of the 80s) by reading the IT press of the time and I found out some really interesting stuff. I think I can safely say I can identify the first ever VLB, PCI and AGP graphics cards to market, for example. But on top of that I have mapped out the development of the Pentium, the Pentium Pro, the 486, and a bunch of other stuff.

Make no mistake, this is a potentially enormous project and I am literally at the very beginning. Consider the current format as a 'dev' model: a breadboard of the final product, if you will. I have mostly used InfoWorld as my source because it's on Google Books and is therefore easily accessed, so my representation of 'history' as it stands is skewed towards how events were reported in the media at the time (i.e. Intel & Microsoft heavy). I think, however, that it's a good starting point. The main point of this is to promote discussion, to elicit facts from people who have them, and to have every pedant who wants to correct a fact to do just that. But you need sources. I want to build a comprehensive history of what happened and when it happened. So I'm just going to leave this here and see what people think:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...2y1wEVQUa3o/pubhtml?gid=266494290&single=true

Please note: the emphasis is supposed to be on accuracy above all else. As things stand, I have included the most accurate sources I am currently aware of. If anyone wishes to make this more accurate, great!

Edit: the links, in most cases, ideally lead to a specific page / article in an online magazine. Some of these are a bit screwy at the moment until I find a more consistent way of finding articles (other than by keyword search).

Last edited:
Hi folks, relatively new to this forum but I'm a big enthusiast. Have posted about this project elsewhere and wanted to widen the net to see if I could get any help with enhancements / ideas / assistance / source material.

It started when I found a Socket 7 board in my collection with a USB header and I thought "Hmm... what was the first ever USB-enabled board to market?". Is it possible to answer such a question? I tried my best and, in my opinion, based on sources, it was AMI's Merlin board from 1996. This then set me off on a path of mapping the development of PC hardware during the 90s (and a bit of the 80s) by reading the IT press of the time and I found out some really interesting stuff. I think I can safely say I can identify the first ever VLB, PCI and AGP graphics cards to market, for example. But on top of that I have mapped out the development of the Pentium, the Pentium Pro, the 486, and a bunch of other stuff.

Make no mistake, this is a potentially enormous project and I am literally at the very beginning. Consider the current format as a 'dev' model: a breadboard of the final product, if you will. I have mostly used InfoWorld as my source because it's on Google Books and is therefore easily accessed, so my representation of 'history' as it stands is skewed towards how events were reported in the media at the time (i.e. Intel & Microsoft heavy). I think, however, that it's a good starting point. The main point of this is to promote discussion, to elicit facts from people who have them, and to have every pedant who wants to correct a fact to do just that. But you need sources. I want to build a comprehensive history of what happened and when it happened. So I'm just going to leave this here and see what people think:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...2y1wEVQUa3o/pubhtml?gid=266494290&single=true

Please note: the emphasis is supposed to be on accuracy above all else. As things stand, I have included the most accurate sources I am currently aware of. If anyone wishes to make this more accurate, great!

Edit: the links, in most cases, ideally lead to a specific page / article in an online magazine. Some of these are a bit screwy at the moment until I find a more consistent way of finding articles (other than by keyword search).

As far as digital video capture cards go for the PC, the first one was developed in the mid-80s. I received the first experimental i750-based DVI card made by Intel that later hit the market in a limited run - an ActionMedia adapter. I later upgraded to the ActionMedia II, and I have one now with all of the requisite cables, drivers and doc and plan to bring it back to life soon :)

The Intel ActionMedia II was really the first widely available commercial offering back in October 1991 (https://books.google.com/books?id=X...nepage&q=History of Intel Actionmedia&f=false), but what I can't recall is when I began fooling with the experimental i750 versions a few years earlier.

Regards,
Mike

As far as the first board with a USB header, it would probably belong to an Intel board, as it's their chipset. I recall that I had a Tyan Tomcat board around then with a USB header that wasn't even discussed in the manual. Similarly, I have a couple of Amptron boards from around that time with headers, but with a brief comment in the manual pointing out the function, but no clue as to how to use it.

450GX (Pentium Pro) was the first chipset released with USB. I am pretty sure in early steppings USB did not work. 430HX would be the first consumer motherboard with USB that was somewhat reliable. I do remember that early USB was so poor that even Packard Bell covered up the USB ports on some of their Pentium machines.

I'll dig around, but I've got a few P1 boards where USB 1.0 works just fine. I remember this because it was Win95B (IIRC) that first introduced USB functionality into an OS.

What was bad about early USB was mostly due to the peripherals not following protocol. I've got a whole carton of USB remote-control modules for a Toshiba Infinia 7200 that aren't even seen by modern USB hosts. I also have an Anchor Chips USB-to-USB host bridge (S/N 000011, with the serial being handwritten in) that, while it's recognized, has no modern software to drive it.

Roughly speaking, USB support could be generalized by year:
1995: Pentium Pro chipset only. Forget it. USB almost never works.
1996: Revised Pentium Pro chipsets, first Pentium chipsets to support USB. Works sometimes.
1997: More revisions. Pretty solid.

Roughly speaking, USB support could be generalized by year:
1995: Pentium Pro chipset only. Forget it. USB almost never works.
1996: Revised Pentium Pro chipsets, first Pentium chipsets to support USB. Works sometimes.
1997: More revisions. Pretty solid.

As far as I know the first Intel USB host controller implementation was the 82371SB PIIX3 southbridge, which could be paired with the 430HX and 430VX Pentium chipsets released in February 1996, and the 440FX Pentium Pro/Pentium II chipsets released in May 1996.

The very first USB development platform boxes we got from Intel in 1995-1996 were Pentium systems, not Pentium Pro systems.

That's what I've been trying to say. I do have an AN430TX board, and had a TC430HX board, both with USB fully supported. However, USB pre-dates those early ATX boards, as I have a couple of P1 AT-form-factor/no USB "A" connector boards as well. I haven't looked to see what the support chip is there, but they both work quite well.

OTOH, I recall no 486 boards with integrated USB support.

Early USB peripherals were another matter. I think many used the Intel 80930 USB-do-anything chip--basically an 8051 with some USB hardware added. I suppose the same chip could have been used as a host controller, but I don't know if it was every done.

Last edited:
Early USB peripherals were another matter. I think many used the Intel 80930 USB-do-anything chip--basically an 8051 with some USB hardware added. I suppose the same chip could have been used as a host controller, but I don't know if it was every done.

The Intel 8x930Ax had a more capable MCS251 microcontroller core. It was a USB device only. There was no way you could use it as a USB host. I still have a stack of Intel 8x930Ax eval boards which we used as test devices back in the Windows 95 / 98 days.

18 Sep: "ALR expect to have the first EISA system to market, due 1st quarter of 1991." Source: InfoWorld

You've got a typo there, it should be 1990 instead of 1991. I wasn't able to find when ALR's machine was actually released unfortunately... Olivetti said that their CP486, another early 486 EISA system, would be released in December of 1989 (at least in Europe) but I don't know if that actually happened or not. Wish I knew...

Thanks for the participation, folks. If i can find sources to verify the info I'll add them to the timeline. Model names are really useful because all i need to do then is track down a manual or press release.

As far as I know the first Intel USB host controller implementation was the 82371SB PIIX3 southbridge, which could be paired with the 430HX and 430VX Pentium chipsets released in February 1996, and the 440FX Pentium Pro/Pentium II chipsets released in May 1996.

The very first USB development platform boxes we got from Intel in 1995-1996 were Pentium systems, not Pentium Pro systems.

This makes more sense given the actual timeline of events. It would be good to have some documentation for one of these dev boxes or the motherboards / chipsets used in them.

USB support on PIIX3 boards in 1996 was extremely hit or miss. They were most likely to work on an ATX or OEM proprietary board that had built in ports. Baby AT 430VX/HX boards generally lacked a header. If they had one, many times there was no setting to turn USB on in the BIOS! Even then, the headers were non-standard pinouts, the breakout plugs from the era had all the pins separate so one could wire to any motherboard. I managed to fry out a VX board's USB line fuse attempting to connect just a breakout plug (no device connected)!

Generally on-board USB support was working with PIIX4 boards (430TX,440LX). By then there were actual devices to connect to the ports.

I've got a couple of the PCChips VXPro boards under the "Amptron PM8600" moniker discussed here. You'd expect a board from the "fake cache" promoters to be utterly deficient in the USB department, but no--the USB works just fine. You can see the USB header between the 2 rightmost ISA slots.

b-vxpro.jpg

Back