• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC/IX Images

jonnymacuser

Experienced Member
Anybody have any tips/suggestions for making a 5.25" floppy disk of the 01MAINT.IMD in order to boot this on an XT?

When I run:

C:\...IMDU 01MAINT.IMD

I get:

IMageDisk Utility 1.16
IMD 1.17: 24/05/2008 10:10:06
PCIX Maintenance diskette
Use for install also
0/0 250 kbps DD 9x512
80 tracks (40/40), 720 sectors (359 data, 361 compressed, 0 unavail)

Then my settings in IMD are:

Drive : A
Cylinders : 40
Sides : Two
Double-step : Off
R/W gap : Calculated
Format gap : Calculated
Format fill : E5
Full Analysis : No
Interleave : As read
Retries : 5
500 kbps -> : 500 kbps
300 kbps -> : 300 kbps
250 kbps -> : 250 kbps

When I boot from the 5.25" floppy -- my 5151 display flashes then displays a blinking cursor that can be moved by the keyboard ... typing the "ls" command does something (floppy light starts blinking) ... but nothing on the screen ...

Klee

Experienced Member
I had zero trouble making a bootable disk , my trouble is on the install and reboot.

I dont remember which program I used to make the images , used a Windows 98 pc in DOS mode to do it as I had issues making it in a DOS window in Windows98.

jonnymacuser

Experienced Member
I had zero trouble making a bootable disk , my trouble is on the install and reboot.

I dont remember which program I used to make the images , used a Windows 98 pc in DOS mode to do it as I had issues making it in a DOS window in Windows98.

Would you be able to make an image file/copy of your bootable disk?

labspencer

Hi

just wondering if anyone managed to get the PC/IX installed on a real XT class machine in the end, I just tried on an IBM XT and manged to complete the install but got the 'panic blkdev' error on reboot. Its a long install so was hoping for some advice before trying again, do you need to keep it exactly within the specs laid out in a previous post above:

The minimum hardware configuration for the IBM Personal Computer XT consists of:
1 IBM Personal Computer XT System Unit/Keyboard (Model 5160087), which includes the following:

- 1 Dual Sided Diskette Drive;
- 1 10 MB Fixed Disk Drive;
- 1 Asynchronous Communications Support Adapter;
- 128 KB of Memory.

- 2 64 KB Memory Module Kits (Option 1501003), for a total of 256 KB of memory.
- 1 IBM Monochrome Display (Option 5151001) and Adapter (Option 1504900)
OR
-1 IBM Color Display (Option 5153001) and Adapter (Option 1504910); the Color Display is supported in text mode only.

I have an original IBM XT 256-640k motherboard with 640k, the May '86 bios with a generic Hercules mono graphics card and 10MB mfm hard drive on WD1002A-WX1 controller. i don't have the 8087 or asynchronous serial card installed so would this cause the error is it more likely to be down to the graphics card/hard drive controller not being specific enough?

I appreciate there is a emulator with PC/IX installed but wanted to try it out on real hardware so any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Leigh

md95065

Funny enough Xenix 86 was developed after 286 that is 1.0 version of Xenix was developed by Microsoft for 286 and the ported by SCO to XT.

In fact there were two target platforms for SCO's 8086/88 port of XENIX - one was the PC/XT and the other was a Burroughs machine running BTOS where XENIX actually ran as a task under BTOS (similar to the way in which, today, Linux supports a "user mode" platform aka UML where it runs as a user mode process).

Separately, Altos had their own version of Microsoft XENIX running on the 8086 based Altos 586 which had some MMU type functionality implemented in hardware.

tt0ny

WBST

Veteran Member
If you guys are interested in old IBM Unix-like software, there is also AIX for PS/2 (MicroChannel-based system only?):
AIX for PS/2 v1.3
Not something that I've played with myself. Kudos to Ardent-Blue and the denizens of NG comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

Svenska

Experienced Member
I did install AIX on a generic 486 machine a long time ago, and it ran fine.
Never got X to work, though. The installation took forever.
You have to boot from the correct floppy for it to work, though.

However, I did play with PC/IX for quite a bit longer and took some notes a few years ago. It's basically a System III.

It appears that using a 20 MB disk is possible in PCE (so PC/IX does handle them), but I could not get them to work in PCem unfortunately. However, it is possible to attach a second 10 MB disk (/dev/hd4 is what Linux calls sdb1) and mount it automatically as /home. In order to do so, add the new disk (use the maintenance disk to partition and mkfs), and then add the following to /etc/filesystems:
Code:
/home:
	dev = /dev/hd4
	vol = "IBMPC1"
	mount = automatic
	check = true
	free  = true

In order to enable logins on the first serial port (tty0), add the following to /etc/ports:
Code:
/dev/tty0:
	enabled = true
	term    = vt100

Also, for sane backspace and interrupt behaviour, add the following to /etc/profile:
Code:
if [ "$TERM" != "ibmpc" ]; then
	stty intr "^c"
	stty erase "^?"
fi

The "date" command does not handle dates past 1999, so I wrote a small tool to automatically set the system date and time from the PCE real-time clock: View attachment rtcdate.txt. Just copy the code into the system as rtcdate.c and run "make rtcdate" to compile. Call it from /etc/rc (replacing the existing date and time logic) to set the correct date and time automatically. This should work until 2038, when the epoch overflows.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to compile any vi, and ed certainly is no fun. While it is possible to run "configure" scripts, they eventually run out of environment space. :-(

nigwil

Experienced Member
In fact there were two target platforms for SCO's 8086/88 port of XENIX - one was the PC/XT and the other was a Burroughs machine running BTOS where XENIX actually ran as a task under BTOS (similar to the way in which, today, Linux supports a "user mode" platform aka UML where it runs as a user mode process).

thanks for highlighting this, I did not know that Xenix could run as a task on CTOS, there is a reference here: https://www.cbronline.com/news/unsys_unveils_btos_ii/

tdsherman325

So, I've got an XT with a compatible controller and a 20Mb hard drive and I gave it a go. I was able to boot it up and start the installation but my hard disk has too many bad tracks in the first couple megabytes. In XENIX, I can just move the partition forwards a bit, but PC/IX only recognizes the first 305 cylinders. Definitely only meant to work with 10Mb hard drives.

I've got another hard drive on the way - hopefully it will be relatively error-free.