• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pccheck on a p3?

squirrel-steam

Experienced Member
I downloaded Pccheck from the discussion "12mhz?" and tried to run it on my gaming computer, but i don't have a ps/2 keyboard hooked up (only works if you plug it in before it boots,) so i tried it on my old Dell L866r computer i use to make floppies. Specs:

Pentium 3 866mhz (16K+16K, 256K cache, coppermine core)
384mb PC-133 (1 256, 1 128 )
20GB WDC IDE
32mb Intel extreme graphics integraded vid card
Windows XP pro sp2

Heres what pccheck said about it:
PCCHECKP3.jpg

The processor is identified as a Nexgen Nx586 Pf133
I think the speed is what its running at, not the actual speed. Its 866mhz, but it runs at 480-550 mhz rapidly. It says it only has 1024K ram, and 640K Main memory (really has 393216K of ram.) The bios also registers as AMI, but its a Dell phoenix.

PC-Check is an old program and doesn't know about the CPU ID tag on newer chips. Therefore its CPU and speed identification is really only accurate on 486s and older.

...The processor is identified as a Nexgen Nx586 Pf133. I think the speed is what its running at, not the actual speed. Its 866mhz, but it runs at 480-550 mhz rapidly. It says it only has 1024K ram, and 640K Main memory (really has 393216K of ram.) The bios also registers as AMI, but its a Dell phoenix.

You're also running it in a VM under XP, so it's not going to show the full underlying capabilities of the system. In some areas XP/W2K/NT are going to mask off certain hardware anyway. With some lines of older systems (like the IBM PS/2s) I like designing some hardware-checking programs like this on a smaller scale - They're not moving targets in their capabilities and options anymore.

Back