• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP-8 documentation archive?

ftcnet

Experienced Member
Where are the best places to look for PDP-8 documentation? DEC manuals, handbooks, engineering drawings (print sets), ECO's, etc..?
I found Highgate's page, but some of the links seem non-responsive. There's bunch more at Bitsavers, but seems to be incomplete.
I presume much of the PDP-8 related documentation has been scanned in and uploaded somewhere at some time in the past.
I'm starting to go through my PDP8/e document archive and don't want to waste time scanning and uploading items that are already available.

The sites you mentioned along with pdp8online are good.
Vince made EAGLE files of many boards with schematics, which are much easier to read than the print sets.

There's bound to be things missing but most of the 8/e stuff should be scattered around those places.

There's bunch more at Bitsavers, but seems to be incomplete.

As part of an effort to improve my collection of DEC 12-bit software, I recently made a study of what I could find online, vs what I could find documentation existed "back when". I found that only about 45% of the stuff survives, anywhere online. It's a little better if you restrict your attention to the PDP-8, but it's still only about 50%.

Vince

Here's an addition. It's the DEC Multi-Class Component Index, Rev H, Nov. 1, 1977.

It might be of some interest to those who do component level repairs. It's supposed to be in searchable PDF format, but the quality of the line printer listings are marginal for good OCR results.

Suggestions appreciated on how to improve future scans.

Thanks - great reference material, especially for house-numbered parts. Standard costing is "interesting"; failure rates look a little suspect.
Got one like this for HP? :>)

I did a few quick searches, and don't find much on the near-mythical RK8-L (M8371 & M8372) 2-board replacement Omnibus controller for the RK05-series of removable disk drives.
It's interesting (to me) to see how the controller design changed in just a few years to take advantage of newer IC's (DEC8640, 8641) and improved design (extensive use of ROMs). If anyone can supply the ROM contents someone like Vince or Roland might be able to recreate the RK8-L controller board set.

Here's the RK8-L Engineering Specs and M8372 ECO 1 and M8372 ECO 2.

.. and the older RKS8-E (M7107) CSS option board that allowed 4K transfers and control of up to 8 drives. The RK8-L could also control up to 8 drives.

Back