• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pentium area

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
We'll try a little experiment and have a Pentium area separate from the other PC areas. Up until this point this subject would be 'off topic', but apparently there is a huge demand for it.

Please try to keep it to hardware and hardware configuration issues related to first generation Pentium machines. We don't want it to devolve into a Win 95 or Win 98 support forum.

Judging by the description, it looks like you intend this for just "Pentium I" chips, but you say "Pentium II and newer" are off topic. What does that mean for PPro?

Judging by the description, it looks like you intend this for just "Pentium I" chips, but you say "Pentium II and newer" are off topic. What does that mean for PPro?

I'm not the expert here, but from an organizational point of view, I would say that both the PPro and Tillamook are the borderline cases. P1 to me basically suggests pre 1995 and P5 architecture. However, the PPro is P6 architecture, and the Tillamook came out in 1997. Because of the special nature of both of those I would say include them. Neither is referred to as PII and I don't think there would be any practical reason (such as subject creep) to exclude them.

Pentium Pro uses RISC micro-ops under the covers.

Seriously guys, it's old but where are we going to draw the line? The experiment says Pentium 1 for now - let's keep it there. (Erik still hasn't weighed in, and he might want the t-shirt back if he discovers this subterfuge ...)

Pentium Pro uses RISC micro-ops under the covers.

Seriously guys, it's old but where are we going to draw the line? The experiment says Pentium 1 for now - let's keep it there. (Erik still hasn't weighed in, and he might want the t-shirt back if he discovers this subterfuge ...)

Nope. I would have done it myself eventually if I weren't buried in ToDo stuff elsewhere...

Time and sleep: Two commodities I'd kill for.

Thanks Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back