• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pet Alive! - April 24th to May 2nd, 2010

tezza

Veteran Member
A few of us PET owners have been talking over the last few days and we’ve decided to arrange a little fun on the VCF. Take a moment to read about...

2010-03-29-pet-alive.jpg

Where: on the Vintage Computer Forums in the Commodore Forum.

When: April 24th to May 2nd, 2010

Who: ALL Commodore PET owners (and everyone else!)

What?: A 10-day event to celebrate the Commodore PET, in particular OUR Commodore PETs. It will be all about showing off funky PETs to one another....and you don't need to be a PET owner to join in the fun!

Here’s how it will work. During the period listed above, a special events thread will be created. In that thread, Commodore PET owners will be encouraged to upload pictures or video of their PETS for comment, and to generally show them off. You can dress them up, show them doing something, or just let others see what you have! It will be the perfect excuse to drag that old PET out of the garage, clean it up and see if it goes!

Even dead or sick PETS can be shown. If your PET falls into this category, our PET Vets (resident PET experts) may be able to suggest what the problem could be in a special PET Hospital thread associated with the event week!

There is more. veteran vintage enthusiast Earl Evans, who many will know from his Retrobits Podcast, will be checking the uploads. At the end of the event Earl will announce awards for the best photos or videos in the following categories:
  1. Best DRESSED PET (adorned with props, perhaps showing a theme)
  2. Best BEHAVED PET (A PET doing something…perhaps running a program, showing some graphics, operating some equipment etc.)
  3. Best GROOMED PET (The cleanest PET which is in tip-top shape externally)
  4. Most NEGLECTED PET (Something we should call the Pet protection agencies about!)
These categories are not necessarily exclusive and one display could collect several of the awards. Earl is even likely to show off his own machine (removed from the competition of course).

Anything that is a PET qualifies. This means models from the original 2001 to the SuperPET or their CBM equivalents.

Don't own a PET? No worries!...enjoy the show and partipate with comments and feedback on the images and videos.

A few other details…
  • Uploading photos and video. Please use Youtube for any videos. If you have more than one or two photos consider using Flickr or other photo services to show them off. We don't want to overload the VCF server. Don’t use a service that requires people to register just to see them though.
  • Images and video should be original and should have been created for this event. This does not preclude citing links to existing PET images and video on the Web which you think might be interesting to others, in context of PET discussions during the week. Make sure it is just a link though and make it obvious that it’s pre-existing.
  • Our PET vets can give you some advice for broken PETs but they will be under no obligation to commit to a diagnostic discussion. Some problems can be tricky, require a high degree of technical skill and even during PET Alive!, people have off-line lives. They should be able to suggest where you might start to look though.
  • Just PETS. No CBM IIs, Vic 20s or C64 please. Save them for the next show (-:
  • There will be no prize for an award, just Kudos. The competition is just a lighthearted enhancement to add some zip so don't shy away from showing off YOUR PET even if you don't think it's got a dog's show of winning. No matter what its state...snap it and let us see what you've got!
It should be lots of fun! Any questions please ask them in this events thread.

All PETs need exercise now and again, so wake yours up, clean it up and get it ready for the show! :D

Last edited:
Tez,
Thanks to a posting by Anders, there is quite a buzz about the event on the cbm-hackers mailing list. It looks like they will support us as they are talking about dusting off the PETs.
-Dave

Dave: Yes, it will great to have the involvement of hard-core cbm hackers. Who knows, maybe even Chuck Peddle himself will show up! (-:

Philip: Thanks. There is a group of us here committed the event. No need to cheer from the sidelines though. I f you are happy to contribute, I'm sure your skills will be much appreciated in the VET Hospital thread come the time.:)

Tez

Our monthly meeting is the Monday before that but I forwarded on the info to our local CTACS (Amiga) group so maybe we'll have a few folks add to the participation. Perhaps Bo (Zimmers) will come out and power on a few (dozen) of his Pets ;-) He actually does keep his systems tuned in case anyone was wondering if they sit in the dark or not (they don't). I'll get mine out too since I never played with the weird little installable module that was inside.. assuming it doesn't end up in the hospital thread heh. Maybe an IRC room should be hosted during that week?

Our monthly meeting is the Monday before that but I forwarded on the info to our local CTACS (Amiga) group so maybe we'll have a few folks add to the participation.

Great! Anyone reading this, please distribute notice of the event around as many related retro/vintage communities as you can. You never know who has a PET or two lurking in their collection which could do with a brief spell in the sunshine!

Tez

MARCH is bringing some PETs at the Trenton Computer Festival April 24th.

Great! A photo of them all in a row would be cool! They could post from the festival maybe?

You would have a PET or two of your own, am I correct Bill? :)

Hi, carlsson mentioned this thread and I was excited enough to join the forum so I could participate :)

I have a PET game I made a few years ago for a game coding competition, but the compo was abandoned, so my game never was released properly. I think it would make a nice contribution to Pet Alive! There's also a second unfinished game that I may be able to finish off in time.

And maybe I'll get all seven of my PETs set up and take some pictures.

Hi, carlsson mentioned this thread and I was excited enough to join the forum so I could participate :)

I have a PET game I made a few years ago for a game coding competition, but the compo was abandoned, so my game never was released properly. I think it would make a nice contribution to Pet Alive! There's also a second unfinished game that I may be able to finish off in time.

And maybe I'll get all seven of my PETs set up and take some pictures.

Hi, and welcome to the Vintage Computer Forums. Great to have you here.

Go for it! That's exactly the kind of thing this event is all about! (egad! SEVEN PETS!!) :eek:

If you know of any other PET owners, spread the word.

Tez

(egad! SEVEN PETS!!)
1 Commodore PET = cool
2 Commodore PETs = really nice
3 Commodore PETs = pure envy
7 Commodore PETs = poor guy!

By the way, the manifesto said no VIC or C64. I suppose we also should let our CBM-II systems rest, as those not techincally are PETs although they were supposed to replace them?

I was thinking the same thing. In addition to the VIC and C64's, I don't consider the B Series (Pet II) stuff to be part of this.

There is one possible exception - The Educator PET which is a Commodore 64 in a PET case.

I mean if someone shows up with a CBM 8296 I am not going to call the police, but I believe we're talking the following PET lines:

Bill

Bill, Anders,

As you know I'm not a PET expert, but the definition of PET I was thinking of did include the 8926 as well as the SuperPET 9000 series. What is NOT a PET for this event is the CBM-II machines and up.

Essentially I was working to the definition on this PET index page, which says...
"Coverage is the whole line of Commodore PET computers, ranging from the PET 2001 to the CBM 8296, as well as the SuperPET (aka MicroMainFrame 9000 in Europe). Not covered are the so-called "CBM-II" machines, the business machines CBM 610-620, 710-720 (also known as B128 and B256) and the 510-520 (also known as P500)"
Are you happy with that as defining the PET range? I know the 8296 has different innards but it still looks somewhat "PET-like" and is included in the definition above.

Tez

Since I’ve been involved in organizing this event I’ve come to realize just how many extremely cool photos there already ARE of PETS around the web. The creativity of some amazes and delights me!

It’s given me food for thought though. During Pet Alive! there’s certainly no harm in people citing a link or two during the event where they have come across something curious, amusing or spectacular out there. However that's not really the thrust of the event. I might just clarify “the rules” (by way of an edit to the original post) to the effect that PET Alive! is more about creating and showing original images/video taken for the event rather than recycling something already up on the Web. Certainly it needs to be original to be considered for an award.

As with the tighter definition of the PET above, it’s better to cover all the bases :)

Back