• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pettester fail

A4000Bear

Experienced Member
I have had zero success in getting the pettester ROM to work in either of my two PETs.
While both machines are now operational, the failure to get the pettester to work at all is bugging me.

Originally I tried to use it in a 4032 PET. I used a special hacked version of the pettester that is compatible with the CRTC in the PET4032, which can be found elsewhere in this forum. I had no luck there, and in any case I got the PET working, so I did not worry about it.

Now I have a PET 2001-8. I tried to burn a pettester ROM for this one, but again I had no luck. The instructions for making and using a pettester seem to be fragmented and all over the place, so maybe having a thread about it might make it easier for everyone.

For the PET2001, I downloaded the pettester file that can be found elsewhere in this forum. It was 4K in size, so I burned it onto a 2732, which was then placed in an adaptor to make it compatible with the 6540 sockets on my PET.
The adaptor is good - it works with other ROMs. My EPROM burning techniques should be good - I have successfully burnt other PET replacement ROMs.

At least one person has got it to work in a PET 2001.... http://home.comcast.net/~medasaro/6540rom.com/6540romadapter.html
I tried doing everything he did, including downloading the file from his site, and I still only got a garbage screen. I should add my PET is otherwise fully functional.

For the PET2001, I downloaded the pettester file that can be found elsewhere in this forum. It was 4K in size, so I burned it onto a 2732, which was then placed in an adaptor to make it compatible with the 6540 sockets on my PET.
The adaptor is good - it works with other ROMs. My EPROM burning techniques should be good - I have successfully burnt other PET replacement ROMs.

On the old 2001 PETs with 2K ROMs, you will need the 2K version of pet tester. For the life of me I can not find it on this forum. The search engine on this forum is terrible. Can someone post the 2K version of pettester?
-Dave

Don't know what it is and no time right now to check it out, but it is 2K:

View attachment 15778

Thanks MikeS. I just tried it and it did the trick.
The website I had linked to originally was clearly describing a 2001 PET, but the pettester for download there was the 4K one. The site also showed the pettester in the wrong socket (H4)

So for Pettester to work in a 2001 PET, I did the following.

1: Downloaded the 2k pettester as in the quoted text above.
2: Unzipped it and burnt it onto a 2716.
3: Inserted the 2716 into an adaptor. See here: http://home.comcast.net/~medasaro/6540rom.com/6540romadapter.html
4: Inserted the 2716 & adaptor into the H7 ROM socket (removing the original ROM to run the test)

Next thing to do is to try the CRTC version of pettester in my 4032 PET again, and see if I can get it to work....

Last edited:
Back