• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Picked up a PS/1

linuxlove

Veteran Member

For the costly amount of $5, I picked up this IBM PS/1 Expert system. It's got a 50MHz 486, 40MB of RAM and a 250MB hard drive that, as usual, has the previous owner's personal documents on them which I will now destroy via DBAN or similar methods.

The case itself seems to be pretty dirty but is clean on the inside. A couple of small spider webs in there but is otherwise clean. The CMOS battery in there also still holds a fair amount of charge: I ran DATE and it said that it was July 31st, 2013...

Anyway, off to write some DBAN, DOS and Windows 3.1 disks now.

Going to steal the ethernet adapter out of my Model 25 and put it in the PS/1. The card works with the SMC8000 packet driver; anyone know where I can find Windows 3.1 drivers for it (or maybe, are there any?) SMC UltraChip 3C790QF P is the big chip's part number, I guess. Card PCB has 60-600464-001 silkscreened into it if that helps

There's no drivers for public download on that site, but I did find the proper driver (for many different operating systems) on DriverGuide. Here's the ZIP file in case DriverGuide starts wrapping it in their downloader: http://goput.it/z7g.zip

I just posted the link for reference to the specs for SMC 16-bit EtherCard Elite Ultra network cards. It's good to see you've got the drivers and I'm sure it'll useful to others.

Found something else interesting out about this system: It features soft power. If the IBM power management driver gets loaded in DOS, you press the power button and it goes into standby. Press it again and it comes back on. It will also come back on automatically if you lose power while the system is on, which is nice I guess.

It should also support "Rapid Resume", IBM's patented suspend-to-disk feature. Enabling it requires that you run a program called "ps1pfile.exe" in autoexec to create the file where the hibernation data will be stored.

Where were the PS/1s manufactured?
For EMEA: Greenock, Scotland.

For the US: Boca Raton, Fl. (I don't think that the PC Company had moved to Raleigh, NC. at that time.)

If a product was made by a vendor then the label would say made for IBM, Armonk NY. In this case and in thr case of the OP's machine, the Armonk address is simply the IBM Head Office.

Last edited:
Back