• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PIXAR Image Computer Spotted on ePay

Interesting. Wasn't the last Pixar auction just for a front panel or something odd?

Interesting. Wasn't the last Pixar auction just for a front panel or something odd?

You mean this?

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?29924-PIXAR-Image-Computer-Panel-Museum-Display-on-Ebay

Anyone know what revision of the PIXAR computer this is?

The ad implies it's from 1986, but it seems several revisions were released in subsequent years.

The "granite" finish is very reminiscent of early 1990's SGI workstations and monitors (Indy, Indigo2, etc.)

Do these people SERIOUSLY never have a power cord! Like really! sorry but The SAME power cord seems to go to monitor as it does the PC and they can't do that? or am i wrong in saying this..

No, the Pixar Image Computer uses a high-amp power cord - so it's possible the seller doesn't have one.

But to claim something is "Museum quality" when you can't test it, and you document physical damage, is just asinine.

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of Next. Looks like that other front panel did actually sell but only had 1 bid so it went for $999.00 with only $299.00 shipping. Panel looks the same although the other one was claimed to actually have worked on the first Pixar animation which was Red's Dream (well first AFAIK but I'm no Pixar historian heh). Certainly a cool system. I sorta thought they look like a Next system to me. You're right though, looking at the paint job it's very SGI like.

Anyone want to guess if it'll sell or an actual value of the system? ;-) I'd throw $2000 at it maybe as a historically interesting collectible.

I don't see what the big deal is about testing something clearly being sold for history ($15K+ minimum bid) and not use. Would somebody clueless about computers plug in an original Apple I just to see if it go up in flames? I think buyers would be more worried about the unit being complete or not and then spend the time getting it working if they want to try it out.

There's one of these at the CHM. Can't remember any details of the information card, though. The front panel looks as if it was made of greyed concrete.

Yeah yeah, Steve Jobs...blah blah blah...equal to the birth of jesus...blah blah blah...
The last time this system was on ebay he was looking for $75000 more than what he wants now so he's getting a bit more sensible but he's still hoping on the name of a dead salesman to help him buy a new car.

The PIC never had a keyboard. It's an External Graphics Processor that connected to a host computer. Without the cables or the host interface the system is essentially a door stop or a pretty museum piece to put behind glass because it's a relic of our almighty god and nobody should touch it.

Back