• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Plastic card stabilizers in 5160?

mechaniputer

Experienced Member
Hi everyone,

I was going over my 5160 to make sure there aren't any leaky components (there's a SixPakPlus card so I removed the battery). However I noticed that some of the cards wobble a bit much. Some cards have a black plastic bracket at the front end of the machine which prevents wobble/flex, but two of my cards are missing this. Does anyone know first of all what these plastic brackets are called, and secondly, is there a source for replacements? I tried various google searches but couldn't find what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

You obviously only need the guide on a slot with a long card. I can't recall ever seeing a 5150 or 5160 with a guide installed for every slot. I'm guessing IBM saved a couple of cents on each machine by only putting the guide where they were putting a long card.

At any rate, be careful trying to move them. You need to squeeze the split pins that hold the guide to the chassis to push them back out of the hole and I found that 40 year old plastic doesn't like to be squeezed.

My "fix" was to just try to put "long" cards in the slots with a guide instead of where I wanted them.

You obviously only need the guide on a slot with a long card. I can't recall ever seeing a 5150 or 5160 with a guide installed for every slot. I'm guessing IBM saved a couple of cents on each machine by only putting the guide where they were putting a long card.
Well this was probably due to user upgrades. All four cards installed are long cards. I'll order some card guides.

Back